Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: balling 2mm silver wire

Default balling 2mm silver wire

is it possible? I've tried and tried and the best I can manage is a slightly swollen lump on the end. I've also tried melting a lump of silver so it's a ball and soldering the wire on. failed and also tried sticking the wire into the molten ball of silver, also failed. There must be a way to get a silver blob on the end of 2mm?

I can ball sterling with no problems, but it inevitably pits. I tend to make the balls separately and solder them on - the finish is much better that way.

Once you have a satisfactory ball, as George suggests, rest it in a dimple made in your block with a hand held burr to keep it still. Melt a little solder onto the end of your wire, then re-flux both and hold the wire down on your ball with tweezers. Heat again and the two should connect.

I think the main problem is simply keeping the two in contact while soldering. Regards, Dennis.

OK, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I think half my problem is my eyes. I need to get them tested I think.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    OK, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I think half my problem is my eyes. I need to get them tested I think.
    Hi Liz,

Your life will be turned around if you get a headband magnifyer. They need not be expensive, or have built in lights, which can be a nuisance. I am thinking of something like this http://www.follymodels.co.uk/expo-73...nses-196-p.asp, with both lenses used together. They can be worn with or without glasses.

The only thing to watch is not to wipe them with a finger or a cloth, as grit will scratch them. Rather use detergent and a soft painbrush with running water.

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 16-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.

I totally need something like that (OMG! I mean! I've totally turned into an american teenager!). I sometime use one of those clip-on-the-work-surface magnifies and they make me feel a bit seasick, but my eyes have got bad and I DO need a new script for specs.

I only just got back from work and am too knackered to work tonight. may have to be the weekend if I get my marking out of the way. This is a long overdue project.

well I did it. took me ages to get a ball the right size and it's not properly round but it is well and truly securely fixed onto the silver wire!

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    well I did it. took me ages to get a ball the right size and it's not properly round but it is well and truly securely fixed onto the silver wire!
    Well done Liz, but you have not told us what you are making yet. I was thinking, would one hole silver balls do, or are they too fragile for your purpose? The late Blundells used to sell heavy duty ones, but I don't know whether anyone does now. Dennis.

I have a small reel of 1mm argentium just for balling (current use is for making my cupid's arrows). Argex is a lovely supplier and the new stuff I've received is excellent.

Listen-up Cookies - you need to stock something suitable for balling and that is not your Reflections!

Message removed
    Last edited by lilia; 22-06-2011 at 06:58 AM.