Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot Loose in Hatton Garden.

Default Foot Loose in Hatton Garden.

If you enjoy browsing in showrooms, then come with me for a walk around Hatton Garden. First to our hosts Cooksons, once Exchange Findings. Take a ticket and head for the bookshelf, or a last minute search of the catalogue. When your number is called, look for the smiling face at the counter and order something you have been tempted by. I was thinking of the solder cutting pliers. They only clip one paillion at a time, but they bring out the closet ticket inspector in me.

Next there is Walsh’s with a brave show of tools, benches and larger equipment. They also have some sundries I think of as stocking fillers, such as the key ring pliers. Then left into Greville Street, where you will find the Mini Assay Office. Opposite is ‘Platform’, a craft gallery well worth the detour.

Turning back into to Hatton Garden you will see Holts, a glamorous showroom of gemstones and made up jewellery, set out to invite the public. They are pricy for gem shopping, but occasionally come to the rescue with something rare or must-have. In the other half of Greville Street nearby, you will find Bellore, full of chains, cable, thongs, findings, stones, beads, crystals and some good tools in the basement.

Now right into Leather Lane market. S&M Hardware is halfway along on the left. From the street there is little to indicate that this is an Aladdin’s cave of less expensive jewellers’ tools and discounted Proxxon items. I challenge you to spend time here without buying something. On leaving take one of the cross streets to New House, at 67 Hatton Garden, just opposite where we began. On the third floor you will find the showroom of Marcus McCallum. They research top of the range gemstones from far off places, but warn your card company first, or they might query your purchase.

Not tired yet? Well, further east along Clerkenwell Road is Clerkenwell Green, the home of the renowned Lesley Craze Gallery. Check first because they have variable opening times. Lastly make for AE Ward & Son in Albermarle way. They are the real thing for gemstone shopping, fairly priced and always busy; no pressure to buy if you are just looking. They Will also value stones and cut and drill them on the premises. Feet hurt? Take a rest in one of the many cafés of the area. Then head for the Tube and if you see a busker, tip him a coin. Dennis

Tempted in Cooksons: Solder cutting pliers and clippings.
    Walsh: Key ring pliers stocking filler.
    Holts must have: Composite stone I made into a pendant.
    McCallum: Fancy Amethyst made into a pendant.
    Plan of the area.

I'm lucky enough to get down to this area of London when I'm working from the London office - so far Walsh's hasn't done very well out of me but they have had a visit. I'll make a note of the rest of your suggestions for my next visit. Luckily for my wallet I can only visit them on my lunch break so I do have only a limited period of time to drool.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I love it!

Thank you, Joe.
    Anne, the two galleries are a free resource and are sure to provide some luchtime inspiration. I doubt they would let you have your sandwiches in there though.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis! I am yet to tread the streets around the Hatton Gardens vicinity, and have been dying to....you have now given me extra motivation to get myself to London for a dedicated 'jewellery boffin' trip :-)

F.x.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you, Joe.
    Anne, the two galleries are a free resource and are sure to provide some luchtime inspiration. I doubt they would let you have your sandwiches in there though.
    Kind regards, Dennis.
    In that case - guess I'll drool in the gallery for most of my lunch break and then eat back at my desk. Optimum use of time that way.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

looking forward to 3 days in hatton garden next month when i attend my gem-a practical sessions
    the solder cutting pliers are great - i have just got some pairs for my silver class, to save the students fingers & cut down on having to fill in the accident book... so far so good!

S&M hardware? fer realz?

are any of these places open on saturday? I don't get paid til thursday and I really really ~need~ stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    S&M hardware? fer realz?
    I think you might find it's an ironmongers...

As for Saturday, if you see the runners who go up & down Hatton Garden during the week between the stores, the observation of the Sabbath on Saturdays may be less of a surprise.