Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wanted fly press!!!

Default wanted fly press!!!

im looking for a fly press of some sort preferrably near scotland.

I don't know if this is helpful but I've seen a bottle jack set in an angle iron frame that was used as a press, probably in a Jinks Mcgrath book

sarah

Quote Originally Posted by sheepy View Post
    I don't know if this is helpful but I've seen a bottle jack set in an angle iron frame that was used as a press, probably in a Jinks Mcgrath book

sarah
    What you saw Sarah, was a hydraulic press, as in the famous Bonny Doon. What Susan wants, God help her, is a thing with a heavy ball at one end, that you swing round. It frightens the daylights out of me, because with a moment’s inattention it can hit you on the back of the head and crack your skull.
    There are lots about and no doubt the members will come up with a site, but they are frantically selling their stock before Christmas. Dennis.

2nd Dennis' caution! Having used one they are frightening and have a long history of nasty injuries!

There's a sort of rhythm in using them as you send the ball back while you move the target and you can easily find that now-and-again you're not quite as quick at getting the fingers out of the way!

They are, however, the bees-knees for pressing and come up very cheaply on Ebay in the "Collect only" category. 100Kg to 250Kg will fit in the back of a family car! They are very robust devices, ideally bought when rusty and thoroughly used!

Quote Originally Posted by silversusan73 View Post
    im looking for a fly press of some sort preferrably near scotland.
    May I ask what jobs you need the fly press for. I have one that is not used much these days as I now use an arbour press, which seems to suit most of my small pressing and cut out jobs. I bought mine from Warco and it was dispached to me by courier: http://www.warco.co.uk/Arbor-Press-063856E178.aspx
    Also if you just search Google/shopping for "arbor press" you may find one that suits, available closer to home.
    James

Which model do you have James? By Googling I found quite a few but their info isn't that informative!

I bought a 2 ton arbour press from Axminster a long while ago (with free shipping). It's a lump, but it has proven to be very useful for all sorts of jobs - I probably ought to see about applying it to jewellery too.

I have the smallest size Warco No.0 arbor press, it is mounted alongside me on my bench, you can see it in this photo of my workbench,it's on the right just behind my pendant drills with my optivisor hanging on it.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021- Jim's workshop 2009.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	2794

Well Axminster is a short drive away so I'd better get over there! Thanks Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I have the smallest size Warco No.0 arbor press, it is mounted alongside me on my bench, you can see it in this photo of my workbench,it's on the right just behind my pendant drills with my optivisor hanging on it.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021- Jim's workshop 2009.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	2794

Oh - that's interesting. Good to see you find that size meaty enough. Thanks James.