Thread: kiln wash

Default kiln wash

I just got a used kiln and I am wanting to test it. I have been given some 015 kiln sitter bars and in reading about testing the kiln there was mention of using kiln wash on the sitter bar supports and the sensing rod. Not knowing what kiln wash was I tried to do some research and what I read tells me kiln wash is to keep glaze drips from sticking to the shelves. I am wanting to work with metal clay and (at this time) not glass or pottery. Do I need to use kiln wash and why would it need to be applied to the kiln sitter bar supports and sensing rod?

Thanks in advance

I don't use cones in my kiln but I'd imagine you are told to use kiln wash on the sitter to prevent them sticking. Some of the china painters put kiln wash powder into the box of cones so they are coated.
    You can get kiln wash for glass from Warm Glass, I go up to 900C with this
    Art Glass Supplier - Warm Glass UK

A ceramic one from Held, this will take a higher fire
    Home: China and Porcelain Decorating Accessories and Equipment

Jill

Hi Donec
    I've only used my kiln for pmc and not used any kiln wash, never heard of it till now, I've used my kiln only eight times so far but had no problems, I just put the pieces on the shelf and turn it on. I like Jille's suggestion about hoovering it( in the other thread), it does get a bit dusty if you are doing leaves and things that burn away. Good luck with your kiln
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Moriarty View Post
    Hi Donec
    I've only used my kiln for pmc and not used any kiln wash, never heard of it till now, I've used my kiln only eight times so far but had no problems, I just put the pieces on the shelf and turn it on. I like Jille's suggestion about hoovering it( in the other thread), it does get a bit dusty if you are doing leaves and things that burn away. Good luck with your kiln
    Wendy
    Hi Wendy
    What kind of kiln do you have?

Don

I just want to point out if you ever use glass with PMC and the glass touches the batt you will need to coat it with kiln wash for glass, or use shelf paper, or the glass will stick to the shelf (batt)
    Have fun

Hi, for lower temperature work you can use a coating of clay. Proper batt wash should be used for temps over 880 deg c. I would recommend using kiln paper for pmc, the thinnest one will be best

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Hi Wendy
    What kind of kiln do you have?

Don
    Not sure, it was only £140 new on ebay, it's only small, I wish now I had waited and got one with a better temperature control but they all seemed so expensive, I will have a look and see if there is a name or anything on my kiln
    Wendy

I know you are talking about pmc but just want to stress that glass will stick at that temperature. I got one of those cheap kilns on ebay, I've been doing enamelling on copper and really enjoying it. I'll have to get some pmc and try firing it in this kiln. I can't see any problems as blow torching it means rapid heating and cooling anyway.