Thread: Bangle Mandrel Sizes!!

Post Bangle Mandrel Sizes!!

Hello all,
    This is my first proper post,so i apologise if it seems an obvious/silly question!
    Im looking to get a bangle mandrel and getting very confused by the different sizes that are on offer out there! I know it all depends on what size bangles i want to make,but if there is such a thing as an average adult bangle size,would i be wanting a 'medium' size mandrel?
    My maths is awful(i know that doesnt help in the world of jewelery making ha ha),but all these different diameters and circumferences are confusing me and giving me brain ache!!

TY,
    Kat

Dear Kat,
    I only really use the oval wooden bangle mandrel, Cooksons list one 999 814, at £22.90. A bonus is that you can draw lines on it for various recipients. All my lines are about 1/3 rd of the way down from the tip and the average diameter is 65x55 mm.
    However Caroleallen is our real expert on this and she may pop up presently with more authoratitive advice. Kind regards, Dennis.

[QUOTE=Dennis;39316]Dear Kat,
    I only really use the oval wooden bangle mandrel, Cooksons list one 999 814, at £22.90.
    Sorry, I should have said: but then I have only made loads of bracelets and a few cuffs. Bangles are usually round and need to pass your whole hand, but I guess the round wooden one would fit the bill for that. Dennis.

Hi Kat,
    I have a small and a medium oval and a medium round. I rarely use the small one, so I'd definitely say medium. I also got a square one on e-bay which was quite reasonable. I'd always go for metal mandrels, though I've just checked out the prices - ouch!

Thanks Dennis and Carole,
    Yea i was thinking a metal one would be much better,but think a bit out of my budget at mo,i have seen one that seems quite cheap compared but im thinking it must be a smaller size!
    many thanks,Kat

I bought the wooden oval bangle mandrel recently for a commission. The cuff needed to be about 7inches inside which was about halfway down the mandrel - it would do much bigger and smaller sizes.
    I'm pleased with it but for the wide cuff I was making I found the edges sloped quite a lot which made it difficult to get a even shape. I got there is the end though, just took a lot of tweaking.
    I'm glad I went with the wooden one and didn't pay extra for the metal one.

I agree about the sloped edges. I have seen stepped bangle mandrels on USA sites but I can't bring myself to pay the customs charge !

There's one on e-bay.

Well i found a metal one(round) on the internet for £29,so iv ordered it as i think its the right size,but as it seems cheap compared to others il have to wait and see!! Thanks all