Thread: What book would you recommend for......

Default What book would you recommend for......

Soldering designs, making silver rings etc. Just been looking on Amazon. But i must admit i have been guilty of bulk buying books and when they arrive they arent what i wanted!!

I have a thing for books though. In my first year doing my biomedical science degree i bought the whole reading list!!! Ha they are still gleeming like new on my book shelf coz they hardly ever got used!!!

Thanks

Gayle xx

Well, for making rings I'd go for Jinks MacGrath's "The Rings Book"; what sort of thing are you looking for in terms of soldering designs?

Hi Gayle,

I'm a bit of a bookoholic myself but one of my favourites for silver/metal work is Elizabeth Olver's 'Jewellery Making Techniques Book'...it includes over 50 different techniques, from piercing and shaping, to soldering and rivetting...so a good all round overview of things to try :-)

Another book I'm currently enjoying (borrowed from the library this time!) is 'Designing & Making Jewellery' by Sarah Macrae. As well as a good explanation of all the tools you may need/want, there are some projects including making a basic soldered silver ring...and an interesting section at the back about the actual design/creative process and tips on how to get your ideas down on paper.

That's my penny's worth for now...I know there are soooo many good books which I'm sure the other members will recommend :-)

Hi Gale,
    If you are looking for a book that contains a range of easy to follow projects, as well as essential jewellery techniques in split pages, then I suggest TWO-IN-ONE Manuals 'Jewellery', by Madeline Coles. It is clearly illustrated in step by steps and is the next best thing to a video. Cost about £8.50 from Amazon, which I would say makes it a best buy for your requrements including the silver ring. And no, I dont know Madeline and she is not my auntie.
    Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 28-09-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Oppi Untracht's masterpiece is basically compulsory. It's too terse to follow and there's too much there to discern a direction but, in terms of books you won't regret buying or outgrow... it's THE one.

Ooops, it's very expensive at Amazon at the moment for some reason... the price you should be paying is £35, so wish-list it until it drops to normal levels!
    Last edited by Joe; 28-09-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks guys for all your replies. I seem to have built up quite a lengthy wish list on amazon!! Ive got a birthday coming up so guess where my money is going to be spent!!

Its hard to look on the net at the moment coz as soon as I sit down my 2 staffies try to get on my knee!! Numpties!

Hugs

Gayle xx

Will your library get in some books for you to look at, Gayle? Most books repeat the 'setting up a workshop' and ' jewellers' tools' section in much the same way, so if you buy lots of books, then upto half of each will be a waste of money. Get the staffies a picture book of cats to keep them entertained. Dennis.

Hi Gayle

FYI: If I'm just spending money (as opposed to vouchers) I tend to buy books from Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository they generally seem to be a bit cheaper than amazon (although collection isn't as wide) and have free shipping on all orders Items arrive suitable packaged too - I hate creased up corners on newly purchased books!

jinks mcgrath's encyclopedia of jewellery making techniques is good - lots of colour photos to go with the wordy bits.
    i also have the student version & master version of tim mccreights bench manual thing (im sorry, ive just finished teaching & my brain is mush). Thats a good reference guide, and the master version comes with a cd rom version of the book & another of his books to download.
    oppi untracht is a great book to have, but not practical for having by the bench as its so bloody humungus!

Hi
    I've just got 'The workbench guide to Jewelry Techniques' by Anastasia Young, it came recommended by many including my tutor and it's fab, it's also on offer on amazon at the mo £15 inc del instead of £25
    Wendy