Thread: Pewter

Default Pewter

Anyone here work with it? What's it like? I know the best thing is to find out for myself but just really want to know about any potential pitfalls before I rush out and buy a batch

No answers in 3 days?!! Tssssss!

So while we're on stoopid questions, can you use a soldering iron to solder jewellery or do you always have to use a scary torch?

I did a bit of pewter work at college. It is good because it melts at such a low temperature (even in a pan on a hob - but needs good ventilation!) and allows you to make casts really easily...well the cuttlefish ones I did worked at least 50 % of the time!! I didn't really 'float my boat' - it was all a bit chunky and rustic for my liking but I guess if you work at it you can make stuff as refined as in precious metals...well perhaps not quite because it is a rather soft metal isn't it?

The college I went to was as penny pinching as I am and so made us cut up pewter tankards from Charity shops to get the metal to work with - not really old ones though because they have lead in them!!

As for needing to use scary torches....does creme brulee frighten you??!! If you can cook by gas and caramelise sugar toppings on your pudding with a chef's torch then you can solder!! It doen't really work with a soldering iron because you need to get all the metal up to a soldering temperature before it works and an iron just won't do that. These little torches are tiny and pretty well behaved.....now if you were contemplating using an oxy-acetylene torch I would be running from the building with you as they scare me rigid!!

I've had a play (briefly) with pewter, but hated the smell too much to do any more.

And yes, you really do need a 'real' torch for soldering, but small scale stuff really doesn't need a big flame at all.

No lampworking for you then Barbara??

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I've had a play (briefly) with pewter, but hated the smell too much to do any more.

And yes, you really do need a 'real' torch for soldering, but small scale stuff really doesn't need a big flame at all.

No lampworking for you then Barbara??

I agree about the fumes!! And - surprise, surprise...I did do some lampwork at college but I didn't really take to it...in fact there were all sorts of hot burny things at college I didn't really enjoy that much!! ...but I loved the experience!! I've just put some photos in an album on my profile if you want a good laugh!!

Your lampwork beads are great Barbara! The glass vessel is very 'interesting' too

Loving the goggles.....

Thanks. And while I'm on a roll...can you polish gemstones with a dremel or do you need a proper lapidery wheel thing?

pewter- pro-cheap, low melting point, suitable for food use, does not tarnish. cons- smell, must be lead free, not as hard, not as shiny.
    good firm working in pewter:
    http://www.gloverandsmith.co.uk/

dremel- polish the stones or the setting? I am sure you must be able to find an attachment somewhere to do it!
    Em

The stones

Brilliant site Em - those bowls are gorgeous
    Di x