Thread: Setting Pearls

Default Setting Pearls

Hi All,
    I have just designed a small range of pendants and rings incorporating pearls. I am now at the setting stage: should I always use a pin and glue to ensure the pearl stays in position? I have trialed a few 2 part glues with terrible results; not setting for days - (I realise this is a mixing error), very stringy and covers everything...etc. what glue do you use?

I have also read to use a split pin with a wedge, but in a couple of designs this will not work.
    How can I make a perfect finish?
    Thanks in advance. Les

Hi Les,
    I use Araldite Instant Clear glue for glueing pearls into cup settings, you have to be quick as it sets hard in 5 minutes, but when it sets it is transparent. It comes in a double syringe so you do not have to worry about getting the mix right. Check out this deal at Amazon; Bostik Araldite Instant Clear - Syringe Pack: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    When using it I just get a notepad,write down the correct time, squirt a small amount next to the time and then mix it and use it. When it starts to become less flexible, repeat the process with some new glue. This serves another purpose as you can see how hard the glue gets by testing the left over blob of glue on the notepad. I use cocktail sticks to apply the glue.

To compliment James' advice, here are some further notes:
    1.There is probably no need to use posts on pearls under about 4.0mm, as some of the glue will go up the hole to form a resin post. Back the pearls with a disk, slightly domed to fit. For tiny disks use thin slices of the correct round wire, or make a domed seat in your work with a round burr.
    2.Mix the glue very well as inadequate mixing gives unreliable results. Plastic coffee stirrers are quite good for this, but observe the mixing time on the pack.
    3.Apply the glue with the end of a saw blade. If you need to enlarge the hole you can do this with a drill in a pin vice, or a diamond bead reamer (not expensive and a selection of diamonds in the handle).
    4.When you push a lightly glued pearl onto the post it will tend to pop up again due to trapped air. There is nothing for it but to hold the pearl down until the glue is set enough, about 3 minutes.
    Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-09-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks so much, Araldite is on order and I have found a renewed life for my many broken saw blades, will give it a go this following week.

araldite works a treat for me too.

super glue is too brittle, hyper cement is a bit gummy, but although some variants can take a while to set, araldite is very strong.

please do post some pics of your pearl pieces!