Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting A Sex War ?

I beg to differ. Not only can we wield pliers but we can do it with a baby on the hip and the phone wedged against our ear!

I do think there's a confidence issue. Tools and machines are still seen as primarily a male domain. In my experience, women are more wary and have more negative expectations about their own success. Or perhaps men just portray an air of confidence without actually feeling it?

Huge generalisation alert.

I remember as a small boy my uncle bringing huge (to my 7 year old hands) pieces of broken machinery from work for me to "Play with". I knew about rotor and stator windings, oil carrying bearings and the difference between philips and pozidrive before I could read.

It's wasn't a natural affinity nor even a deliberate grooming of interests, it was just the way men of that time sought to find a comfortable way to interact with male children.

Things are better now; there are fewer preconceptions. But I would beg to suggest from observation that while boys are now more likely to be encouraged in social play, girls are no more likely to find themselves with construction toys than before.

An equality of starting point is approaching... but not rapidly.

Speaking as someone who liked nothing better than to play in my dad's workshop, I can't agree with this sexist rubbish. My husband likes to make cakes, does that make him a sissy?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I beg to differ. Not only can we wield pliers but we can do it with a baby on the hip and the phone wedged against our ear!
    Speaking as someone who liked nothing better than to play in my dad's workshop, I can't agree with this sexist rubbish. My husband likes to make cakes, does that make him a sissy?
    I totally agree with you Carole,i was brought up changing car tyres,helping my dad who was a builder and generally doing whatever needed doing! i tend to be the chief "putta togetherer of furniture etc, plug changer,techno person," while my husband having being a chef for the last 28 years is the chief cook and bottle washer,gardener etc!!!!!
    so whether you're male or female is totally irrelavant it just depends on who you are!!!!!!!!!!
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

I think he means that we fluffy little women are incapable of working out anything scientific without help from the superior sex.
    Thats what I thought he meant, I did hope I was wrong - and you seemed so nice Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Women might start from Crochet, Crafting, Stringing, Clay
    So, there's absolutely nothing remotely scientific in any of the above? Again, I beg to differ. Please don't insult our intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
    so whether you're male or female is totally irrelavant it just depends on who you are!!!!!!!!!!
    Totally agree.

I have to say being the meek, dense female woman that I am, I am more than a little insulted. I thought the days of sexist twaddle were being forgotten, it appears not

Dennis, I appreciate you are two generations removed from me and therefore come from a different time when the little woman was considered capable of running a home but that's was about it, but it's not a question of not being "political correct" to assume that we moved from crochet to jewellery - it's just insulting. What you're saying is if I asked a question you would make assumptions about me being a woman and answer the question differently than if Joe asked a question. What if I said that I like to know how old someone is when responding to them because if they're over, say, 75 then I'm going to assume that they don't understand and can't use modern technology, they're physically frail and I need to explain things very slowly and carefully so the poor dears can understand and they'll only forget anyway.

What is very disappointing and quite sad is that the male responses agreeing with this. Great , so you have anecdotes with a couple of women who aren't technically experienced. Do you know what - I have plenty of anecdotes about men I know who can't fix cars, put up shelves or fit kitchens. So what?
    Last edited by Myosotis; 25-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Well, I apologise if you-all got insulted. That was not my intention. I did think the Forum was getting a bit jaded and at least this has brought some blood to it's cheeks. After all it's good to have a lively discussion particularly when there are such valid responses. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Me: Female = incapable, non technical, loves knitting needles and crochet hooks.
    Also me: Disabled = wheelchair = yet more incapability, inadequate.
    Boy do I feel great!

Well at least we know that chauvinism is still alive and living in Central London, Norwich and Essex - oink oink!
    Last edited by caroleallen; 25-09-2010 at 04:42 PM.