Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting A Sex War ?

Default Starting A Sex War ?

I never cease to be fascinated by the process of posting on a forum, particularly when responding to requests for help. Often you are given very little information to begin with about what the member is intending to make, so that the replies painstakingly set out, might eventually turn out to be irrelevant.
    In fact as more details come to light, the project might appear to be a non-starter, but will have generated a great deal of advice. My hero is the person who is able to spot this. Admirably, the enquirer is not usually deterred, but rallies to find a new approach.
    I also find it helpful to know their name and therefore their sex, because although it might be politically incorrect to say so, they will be starting from a different place. Dennis.

I can hear the cracks from that thin ice from here!

Which is a shame, because although it is a considerable generalisation to say that gender is involved in starting point, it is a useful one!

Perhaps twenty years from now, the exposure of both genders to metal-working and engineering practice will be more uniform, but right now that isn't the case.

Nor is it pejorative - someone with less general engineering experience might be much more open-minded in respect of learning something new.

I agree with both comments and I am a girl, I do think it makes a difference, I am not as strong as a man nor do I have any previous engineering or metalwork experience (in my day girls were not allowed to do wood or metalwork at school, god that makes me sound so old and I'm only 46)
    Wendy

Go Dennis!!
    There's only one way to sort this out??? FIGHT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I also find it helpful to know their name and therefore their sex, because although it might be politically incorrect to say so, they will be starting from a different place. Dennis.
    How do you mean Dennis?

I think he means that we fluffy little women are incapable of working out anything scientific without help from the superior sex.

I think I know what Dennis is trying to say. I realized something once ,when I was on a setting course once.A lady there didn't really know how to open and close a pair of pliers with one hand, and thought it was some special skill.
    It was nothing to do with intelligence,just lack of experience.
    When I was growing up I would help my Dad build things,banging in nails,drilling holes and sawing wood etc. When I started in the jewellery trade,those practical skills short cut the learning process.
    I tried to bring my Daughter up as a tom boy.I was horrified when she was magnetically attracted to 'my little pony' and then gave up.
    I could be wrong,but i think Dennis is talking about running before you can walk.

Oh I'm so desperate to wade in, but....must.....resist.....

Shaun got it in one. My main intention was to provoke a discussion but as I see it:
    Women might start from Crochet, Crafting, Stringing, Clay, (and Venus), while
    Men often start from Engineering, Metal work, wood work, DIY (and Mars). Thank you for joining in, Dennis.