Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting A Sex War ?

There's only one person that has behaved in an overtly insulting way on this thread.

Wow, there are some amazingly sweeping statements in this thread. How about judging each person on their own attributes? Difficult on an internet forum, I know, but I'm not sure this is the best way to stimulate discussion - more likely to make some less likely to ask for advice in case they're judged to be merely a "stringer" etc.

I am female, mid thirties, and have been known to knit, crochet, string and use clay (polymer and metal. But also wield a jewellers saw, flex shaft and torch, know to build furniture (including a fireplace/kitchen doors from scratch), put up shelves, change tyres, build websites, sort out majority of household repairs (including electrical) etc and own almost all of the power tools in this household. I'm also pretty well educated with 2 university degrees and a great deal of common sense (which is telling me I shouldn't have replied to this thread) and am pretty sure I would feel great patronised by advice tailored only to my "being female".

I tend to steer clear of male vs female things - I've remembered why after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    There's only one person that has behaved in an overtly insulting way on this thread.
    In your opinion, Joe. Several woman have already stated that they have been insulted by sexist outdated chauvinistic assumptions - what you appear to be saying above is that that our opinions as women don't count and you don't think we've been insulted. It's almost worse that assumptions have been unintentional - it just goes to show how ingrained these attitudes still are.

My point is that if I had started as thread regarding how I might hypothetically deal with someone differently based on preconceptions of age - and I could have easily substituted race or disabilities - then that is just as offensive as saying I would advise someone differently because they are a woman.

I didn't take what Dennis said as being chauvinistic or insulting at all!

However much we may dislike it, some activities are still regarded as predominantly male (and female - look at male nurses and primary school teachers) and as such females will have less exposure to them. I'm an educated, professional 43 year old, confident in my own field, but still relatively new to this world of tools and torches. I feel "inferior" to others on here but it doesn't bother me at all. Once I've mastered something I'm sure I'm as capable as any man or woman. Until then, I know I'm wary and unsure - and I see that in other women. This is obviously based purely on my own experiences but I don't see it so much in men. I don't think there is a difference in capability but I do think there is a difference in experience and confidence. Of course, if you're a female who studied engineering etc. you won't see it that way. By necessity we're speaking generally here.

Of course we should champion equality of opportunity between the sexes but that's never going to make us the same.
    Last edited by lesley; 25-09-2010 at 06:18 PM.

This is a straight question, no antagonism intended: Do the females in this discussion support positive discrimination? I ask because it's something that I've struggled with but have always come out on the negative side.

Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    I didn't take what Dennis said as being chauvinistic or insulting at all!

However much we may dislike it, some activities are still regarded as predominantly male (and female - look at male nurses and primary school teachers) and as such females will have less exposure to them. I'm an educated, professional 43 year old, confident in my own field, but still relatively new to this world of tools and torches. I feel "inferior" to others on here but it doesn't bother me at all. Once I've mastered something I'm sure I'm as capable as any man or woman. Until then, I know I'm wary and unsure - and I see that in other women. This is obviously based purely on my own experiences but I don't see it so much in men. I don't think there is a difference in capability but I do think there is a difference in experience and confidence. Of course, if you're a female who studied engineering etc. you won't see it that way. By necessity we're speaking generally here.

Of course we should champion equality of opportunity between the sexes but that's never going to make us the same.
    But you shouldn't automatically assume someone won't understand your answer and dumb it down just because of your assumptions about gender, race, age or disability -

It's sad that anyone would associate a feeling of inferiority with simple lack of experience.

I find it much easier to associate my inferiority with the gap between the enormous artistic output of a number of the forum members here!

The use of an unfamiliar tool or technique is just a matter of seconds from being learned; creativity is mountain of which some of us are destined always to wander the foothills.

Quote Originally Posted by Myosotis View Post
    But you shouldn't automatically assume someone won't understand your answer and dumb it down just because of your assumptions about gender, race, age or disability -
    I don't know why you say I have assumptions about gender, race, age or disability. I don't, and I didn't even mention the latter three! It feels like you're accusing me of being sexist, racist etc.

Oh dear Dennis... what have you done!!

I wish people wouldnt take these kind of comments so seriously - this is exactly what I detest about forums - people feel the need to argue until blue in the face. Its boring! Frankly I only joined this one as I thought everyone was so mature & kind to each other!

The original comment doesnt bother me one bit. In fact, its something I have never even thought of before, but to be honest, if Im asking for advice, I dont care how its handed to me, as long as it gets me where I need to be in the end!

If you dont like someones comment, just ignore it guys, and chill out a little bit!

Well, Dennis you did say you was starting a sex war Bloody hell mate it worked. I would have much more preferred a 'sexy war'
    I never thought there would be 'flaming' (that's what it's called, i recently discovered) on a forum like this. I've caused a few on graffiti forums,but they are populated by teenagers and 30 something anarchists.

The tinternet is a funny old thing. I'm off to eat some raw meat,and let the dust settle.
    It was good while it lasted Seeya!.....................Shaun