Thread: Earring finding - needed!

Default Earring finding - needed!

Does anyone know where I can get screw posts in sterling silver with a ball screw on as the back and just the post or disc as the front (to which I will solder earring front) Ideally post thickness of 0.7-1mm thickness.

These are to be used as single earrings on the ear (obviously ) but the back will be behind the "tragus" or "helix" (just google 'outer ear anatomy' to see which bits I mean ), so needs to be a screw on fitting for security and a ball or similar for comfort!

Any ideas of a supplier please???

Tabby

Hate to say it but it looks as though you might have to make your own. 1mm hard drawn wire will do for the post and some suitably sized solid or semi-solid balls. you will then need to thread the wire using 1mm metric dies. Drill the balls with a 0.7mm drill and tap out with 1mm taps. You will need to lubricate with paraffin or white spirit to prevent the thread from being stripped. I would suggest a thicker wire-20swg and 1.5mm taps and dies would be easier to handle. All a bit fiddly so look for surgical steel threaded wire and then you just have to drill and tap the balls.
    Nick

Dear Tabby,
    You might try to adapt Cooksons Earscrews NVN002, which are meant for pearls. Cut off the unwanted parts and add what you want with easy solder paste, to avoid overheating. After soldering the U bend will need rehardening by straightening it, twisting several times and reshaping to restore its spring. If you fancy this idea, buy a small quantity to experiment with first. However my experience with silver screw fittings is that they are not rigid enough even when new, and so open as you turn the screw.
    A more likely alternative might be to use Earclips NVK107 or 108, and add your decorations to the front with 5minute epoxy.
    Kind regards, Dennis.