Thread: Prips Flux

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default Prips Flux

hello again

I have made a batch of Prips according to my recipe with a 3:2:2 of boric acid, TSP and Borax dissolved in min of 2pts of water (heated) to dissolve the powders/salts (crystals). It does work really well - but the crystal growths (salts) after a day are a bit of a nightmare and result in clogging up my little sprayer.

This means resorting to a brush, whilst I don't have a prob using a brush, it does sort of mean that more flux is coating the metal than if I had used a spray and then the metal gets time to cool down - grrr!.

Are there any hints or tips to help reduce the crystalising or is it something I wil need to live with, if I stay with Prips (it really does reduce the firestain really well). A simple reheat of the solution and more water does reduce the crystalising temporarily, but it always seems to return.

thanks for any advice.

) Wallace
    Last edited by Wallace; 09-03-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling - it is nearly always the spelling :o)

I've tried using a little atomiser bottle with FM solution (much the same) and found that the thing very quickly clogged - it's a saturated solution after all. In the end I got fed up with constantly trying to unclog it so went back to using a mouth sprayer and a shot glass of the stuff. With a brush, I don't tend to find I get adequately even coverage.

Added - a quick google and I found these - http://www.bigceramicstore.com/supplies/sprayers.htm
    Could be an improvement.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 09-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.

thanks Peter - it is worth a try for a few pounds. Using a brush is total pants!

I have an airbrush, which is a similar principle (but won't use it as I WILL ruin it!) lol

I do like the solution and know it will re-salt, but blow me down it seems I only have to turn around and there is another one forming!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I have an airbrush, which is a similar principle (but won't use it as I WILL ruin it!) lol
    An Aztek airbrush is pretty tolerant of things like that going through it (and much easier to clean than the decent DA ones); a cheap SA airbrush might work? More faff than I can be bothered with given my soldering area & my silent compressor don't cohabit.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    An Aztek airbrush is pretty tolerant of things like that going through it (and much easier to clean than the decent DA ones); a cheap SA airbrush might work? More faff than I can be bothered with given my soldering area & my silent compressor don't cohabit.
    lol - I will explore some options.

I have a potters shop near where I live, I see they have a mouth-blow for only £5 inc postage.....so a few choices.

It was great to have the opportunity to go through it with someone other than myself. Many thanks again Peter.

Keep it in a lidded jar. A large flat artist's brush on warmed metal will apply it well. Synthetics are softer. The crystals will grow on the brush as it dries, but quickly dissolve when you next dip it. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Keep it in a lidded jar. A large flat artist's brush on warmed metal will apply it well. Synthetics are softer. The crystals will grow on the brush as it dries, but quickly dissolve when you next dip it. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis,

I have been using a natural hair brush - will try a synthetic, was a tad reluctant to use anything other than hair due to going near the heat - but at 50p a brush, I am sure I can cope with it. Wallace
    Last edited by Wallace; 09-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.