Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Second Hand Rolling Mill / Microweld

Exclamation Cleaning Second Hand Rolling Mill / Microweld

Hi

I suppose this is and extension to the cleaning rusty tools thread. I just wondered if anyone had any idea how I should clean a second hand rolling mill, which I bought recently.
    It's not very rusty as such, just a bit tarnished mainly, although some areas are beginning to rust, if that makes sense! Can anyone suggest anything?
    I did think about cleaning it with Brasso or liquid silver cleaner!

And I have also bought a Microweld too (from the same person), it has been serviced about 4 years ago and used very little after. The seller insists it's fine to use as is, but I understand it's better to use a Microweld often as they don't like to be stood unused? It starts up OK, but is it dangerous if not serviced often?

Many Thanks

Jilly Seweller

Lucky you! Second hand mills are like gold dust.

To clean the mill I would take the rollers right out and give them a good rub with a fine grit wet and dry emery paper, clean back well to remove the grit then rub in some oil or WD-40, then rub back with a tissue or soft cloth. then put them back in. If you cant get the rollers out then just thread the emery through with the rollers wound open and see-saw it back and forth, turning the handle a little to get the whole surface done, making sure you don't work on one area too long, or you'll create a flat. Then do the same cleaning and oiling, to stop any rust forming. If there are any serious dints in the steel, then I'd try to find a friendly local engineering workshop to "skim" them, somethines an old fashioned car-mechanic will have the right gear to do it for you, as emerying will never be accurate enough to avoid a hollow forming somewhere.

Sorry I don't have a clue on microwelds, I'm a bit of a hater in that department, still like the old fashioned torch you blow through, he he, I'm a luddite.
    Nikki

Default RE Cleaning Rolling Mill

Hi

I bought a 40 year old Durston C120 from eBay, and had a similar job to bring it up to scratch.

The only damage was a cracked plastic handle - replaced free of charge by Durston following an email attaching a picture of the mill and asking how old it was and what type it was - (40 years and Early C120). Top marks to Durston for excellent customer service.

The rolls were in good condition, but had slight surface corrosion from standing unused.

My solution was to use Sticky backed 3M 9 micron abrasive (Aluminium Oxide) stuck on to a spare Bench Peg - see photos, it worked a treat.

I held the Peg / Abrasive wedge against the partly open rolls applying slight pressure while turning the handle to rotate the rolls against the abrasive.

Result - no rust and a Rolling mill which works as good as new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mill0.jpg   Mill2.jpg   Mill3.jpg   Mill4.jpg  

Oooh I have dreams of owning a rolling mill :lol:

Great idea for cleaning the rollers!
    Goodbye

Thanks for the excellent advise. They say necessity is the mother of all invention! I have cleaned the rolling mill now with WD40 and fine wet & dry paper wrapped round an old polishing stick, although i will use your tip with the bench peg to keep it in tip top condition.
    Someone, i think on another forum (Ganoskin), suggested applying some Renaissance Wax to the surface to protect the rollers from rusting up when not in use. I have tried this and so far it's worked well. The wax isn't too greasy either. I have also put a cover on the mill too.......

I would put some pics up but you have to submit 5 posts before you can do this.

Thanks again

Out of interest everyone refering to 'fine' wet & dry paper - what do you class as fine! I have a rolling mill and I'd like to do this to a couple of the rollers but obviously dont want to do any damage!
    Lucinda

Thanks for the reply

I'm not sure what i am gonna do with the microweld. I understand, from a nice man a Walsh's customer service dep, that they work best when used often and i probably wouldn't use it every day. It will probably need a service too, which is expensive!

Like you, i have the old fashioned torch you blow through, but i like gadgets....

Thanks again

I used 1000 grade first and then 1200 with lots of WD40. However, the rust on my rollers wasn't too bad, just light surface rust really, you could still see lot's of the steel rollers.

I hope that helps

That does Jilly, thanks a lot
    Lucinda

Sorry to bump this oldie, but now i have my new durston (loud whoops of joy) I'm wondering what people use to keep the rollers rust free in between uses. If I'm not going to be using it for a prolonged time, I intend getting some of the durston grease which is recommended, but if I'm going through a period of using it every day or every other day, will a squirt of WD40 be enough?