Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning Second Hand Rolling Mill / Microweld

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Sorry to bump this oldie, but now i have my new durston (loud whoops of joy) I'm wondering what people use to keep the rollers rust free in between uses. If I'm not going to be using it for a prolonged time, I intend getting some of the durston grease which is recommended, but if I'm going through a period of using it every day or every other day, will a squirt of WD40 be enough?
    If you are using your Durston every day just cover it with an old blanket when not in use and also make sure that the rollers are left apart, I would only use oil or grease if the mills are to be stored for a while, oiled mill rollers really need cleaning off every time the mill gets used, otherwise you will get uneven rolled sheet with textures of any oil that had been left on the rollers. Any machinery benefits from being covered by an old blanket a method taught to me by an engine turner, who covered his treasured engine turning machines with blankets at the end of each working day.

James

As James has said, cover it when not in use, but not with something that traps condensation, hence the blanket.

The problem I have found, is that tiny specks of hard grit which are not easy to see, can settle on your rollers and leave pits on the sheet that you are rolling down. As a result I wipe the rollers with a clean cloth and a trace of silicone spray from the ironmongers while they are turning. This does not seem to affect the metal or interfere with soldering.

My can says 3-in-one professional silicone spray lubricant, but I imagine other lubricants used very sparingly as a polish would do. Dennis.

Thanks guys. I'm very excited about it! will let you know how I get on

Dennis, do you spray onto the rollers and wipe or onto the cloth and wipe? Also do you need to wipe it off before you roll again?

I have it all bolted down now courtesy of Mr Medusa and will start by experimenting on thinning solder. First I have to write an essay though

Spray the cloth lightly and use it sparingly as if it were a very expensive polish. Then put it to bed until next time. If you are worried use a dry lint free cloth at the start of the next session. Even a stray thread will mark silver sheet
    A digression:
    When I first had my mill, I made the mistake of tightening the top screw too fast and too often. Remember the springs are quite strong and will have an effect, even on the second pass without closing the rollers more. Particularly with strip, such as solder, if you go too fast, you can just get a wiggly squashed mess. Dennis.

thanks Dennis! I have successfully now got lovely thin solder, rolled a 5mm square of 22ct gold down to a 20mm x 5mm strip and made some oval tags from round tags. I find the measurement dial on the top a bit confusing though.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I find the measurement dial on the top a bit confusing though.
    You're not the only one Liz, I never use it. Glad you like your new toy, Dennis.

My tools often get condensation on them so I have become quite good at tackling this. I do use WD40 if I need to clean tools up but I like to give the rollers on my mill a good coat of vaseline which works well. Also covering the mill with a cloth keeps some of the condensation away and always wipe the rollers over with an oily rag after use.

I thought about using vaseline for periods between use as I can only really work fairly spasmodically because of study now. it's probably a bit easier to get off than the grease that is on there.

I don't think there is nothing in side the microweld that you can't service yourself. Buy some extra long rubber gloves lots of old news papers and buckets of clean water.

It's just a big metal tube full of very nasty water and Base (very alkaline chemical). Very strong drain cleaner. So you might be able to just put it down the toilet with lots of water. Keep washing the parts with clean water, distilled or deionised would be best. I gave mine a good flushing with deionised water, changed all the pipes and refilled with deionised water and Potassium Hydroxide. Just remember that the water gets hot when you all the potassium. Don’t let the water get on the dry potassium. Let the water mix cool for a hour or two, then refill the unit. Cover every think with lots of paper to catch any drips. The few drips i had had eaten through about 4-5 sheets by the time i finished.

Next time I’m going to take the cell apart and give the inside a good clean. Only 4 nuts and a rubber washer hold it together. Remember that one end is negative and the other end is positive the rubber washer keeps them apart. There might also be some insulators under the nuts as well.

With a lot of care and patients it should be easy to clean it. Good luck. I love mine great for doing chains
    Neil