Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I Got from Here To—Here. A Belcher Chain Bracelet.

Default How I Got from Here To—Here. A Belcher Chain Bracelet.

When a new member asked for help in making a belcher chain bracelet, I was sufficiently intrigued to try it for myself https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sh...hlight=belcher.

After various experiments, I settled for Argentium silver, using the dimensions given below, to produce something durable, but avoid firescale from the repeated annealing and soldering required.

Cutting short strips of plain and textured metal, I first made them into rings and then used a doming plate to tamp them down into a rounded shape. The original video shows them tapped with a hammer and a large punch, but I found the pressure easier to control utilising the reducing function at the base of my ring stretcher as a mini arbour press.
    Gentle pressure and frequent annealing were required

Alternate units were then cut, linked and re-soldered. Finally wire rings and a hook fastener were added to complete the bracelet.

The video calls it Erbsenkette. That’s German for pea chain. Quite appropriate I think.
    Argentium silver, rolled down to 0.45mm, some textured and some left plain, cut into 25 strips, 35.0 x 6.0 mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bc1 From Here.jpg   Bc2 To Here.jpg   Bc3 And Here.jpg  

Well that came out nice, good idea to use the ring stretcher, I have tried using my press with a two piece die, as yet it has not been very successful

what a smashing result Dennis - I remember my interest was also piqued by this project - good on you for making it happen!

I like it very much indeed.

Wow, impressive Dennis. Have you ever come up with a project that's defeated you?

The end result looks great - thank you for sharing the method.
    Sally

Thank you everyone for looking in and your kind words.
    Sheena, if a project threatens to stall, you can always tweak the design, but I could not set very small stones or do bead setting with my existing skills.

Great result Dennis. Thank you for sharing the technique
    Tess