Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Flipside of Brooches.

Hi Dennis,
    I've just joined the forum and found this thread regarding wire for brooch pins. I got some from the supplier you recommended. The wire is as you said really hard. Can you offer any advice as to getting neat bends in the stuff without damaging the item it's being attached to. I managed it but it was areal struggle getting a good grip for the second bend I used a tube and bent the wire at right angles to fit into a double catch.. Also how do you get small circumference bends in it without trashing your pliers?
    Thanks.

Yes you are right, it is very hard and I keep some inherited stainless steel pliers for this which are expensive and difficult to source.

Because stainless steel is a poor conductor, you can just heat the part you want to bend to dull red an quench it. It will turn dark and need polishing, but then be more easy to bend there and yet not spoiled for its purpose.

When I make the double pin, I now use a piece of thin tube that just fits the wire and have it rotate in a second larger tube. This gives a stronger edge to the tubing when I make my second bend against it.

Regards, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Low Tech Solutions Using Tubes..jpg  

Hi Dennis - have just come across this thread and wondered if, IYO .7 or .8mm sheet is considered thick enough for a plain brooch. I don't want it to be flimsy, on the other hand not heavy either! I bought some stainless in lengths which is perfect for pins. I made one brooch using .7mm and domed it slightly, which seems ok. I guess it all depends on the item of clothing it will be worn on. Just had a fancy to make a series of plain unadorned brooches in the Scandi style....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030410.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	10522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030411.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	10523
    Last edited by theresa; 18-10-2017 at 03:30 PM.

The answer is that once formed or domed it will be much stronger than if left flat, so the thickness is fine for strength.
    If visually it appears thin,you can also finish the edgees at an angle to give the illusion of greater thickness. Dennis.

Hi Dennis is the catch on the left? And the tube left?

Traditionally brooches are worn on the left shoulder (assuming that the wearer is right handed). The pin or pins are placed about one third of the way down, so that the brooch won't flop forward. Double pins also prevent this, as well as being more stable on thin material.

The catch is on the far left, so that the brooch won't fall off as easily if it opens accidentally.

You might have to improvise if the brooch is tall and narrow. Dennis

What do you think of the silver pins for brooches that cookson sells? I'm going to be making my first basic bar brooch.

They will do, if you rivet them on last of all and don't heat them, Sheena. You could also use 9ct white, for a harder pin, or just go for stainless steel, which if declared is accepted by the assay office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I don't have the exact specification Peter, it just says Stainless steel wire, K.C. Smith & Co, Hard. I bought the smallest reels of 0.9 and 0.8 mm over ten years ago, and still have enough to see me out. It is exactly what it says on the reel : hard as hell. You might have to phone them to circumvent registering etc, but failing that it's Chaperlain & Jacobs again Kind regards, Dennis.
    K.C.Smith (Monmouth) Ltd - K.C.Smith
    Seems to be trade only, any other places i can try?