Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Flipside of Brooches.

I was only discussing pin wire with my tutor last night - a very timely thread Dennis thank you!

I know what you mean Joe about Dennis encouraging us to spend. Dennis, I think you've caused a rush on solder snips btw, the stock ran out from when I put them in my basket to when I got around to ordering! That'll teach me to dither and debate - I've got to wait until January for delivery!!

Thanks as always!
    Tabby

Sorry about that, but Mrs Cookson is not even my Auntie. As you get only one pallion at a trime , I do feel that they are more for boys to play ticket inspectors, Kind regards, Dennis.

Thanks for all that top-quality information, Dennis!
    I've just made a silver brooch with a simple steel pin, so I was very interested to read your post. I've been assuming that it wouldn't qualify for hallmarking, but now I think I might submit it. When you get your brooches hallmarked, do you have to have the word 'METAL' stamped on them by the Assay Office, to indicate that there's some base metal involved, or do they just give you the normal hallmark? Also, do you have to put anything special on the form when submitting your brooches to the Assay Office?

Yes, I have just declared the stainless steel pin on the form, but it it permissable and they hallmark it normally. I am uncertain about ordinary steel, but they are quite helpful to phone. Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-01-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks, Dennis, I'll give them a call.
    Best regards, Nina.

I have just used a Cookson sterling brooch back for the first time, and it has soldered onto my piece fine but I find the pin is now a bit stiff and does not turn as it did before I soldered it, is there something I can do to make it nice and loose again? Indeed what might I have done wrong that this occurred?

The brooch back in question is this one: http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/...prcode-NVR-201

Hi Kwant,

I've used these frequently and increasingly successfully, though I am now exploring making my own (purely from a design and have a go perspective!)! Initially I had the same problems that you describe. Increased success has been achieved by -

1 - use heat resistant paste / gel on all movable parts
    2 - keep flame directly away frome the ends (ideally heat from below, but not always possible)
    3 - quench, pickle as usual and then gently 'work' joints to release them, if you haven't soldered them into place by mistake ;-) then they do tend to release.

Hope this helps!

Tabby

Thank you Tabby, I have been meaning to get some of that heat resist paste. I do not think I soldered the hinge though it did cross my mind, I think I will just have to sit and work it loose as you suggest.

Dear Denise

This was my very first posting, so I was very grateful for your detailed reply and glad to see that my construction is on track (I have been using 9kt pin wire), but where do you get your stainless steel wire from?

Best wishes
    Cathy

K.C.Smith (Monmouth) Ltd