Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size wire would you choose?

Cool What size wire would you choose?

Hi

As cooksons have a discount on round wire and I can't miss a bargain, I am trying to decide what size wire I should get.

I use 1.0mm and 0.8mm for wirework but was looking at sizes 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2 and 3. Unfortunately that was when my wallet went into melt down.....

So my query is which size do you use most and for what?

Ta

Sonia
    x

Dear Sonia,
    If you have a fixed vice, a round drawplate and some serrated pliers , you can draw down your own wires from about 2.0mm dia. without the need of a draw bench. It woulgive you less stock and a measure of independence. Also you would develop brawny shoulders.
    Kind regards Dennis.

I hate drawing down wire. I'm always afraid I'm going to shoot backwards across the room.

I use .8, 1mm, 1.2mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm

[QUOTE=Dennis;38279]
    Also you would develop brawny shoulders.
    QUOTE]

Hi Dennis, I suppose they would then go with my brawny arm muscles from riding my motorbike around Europe. Shame I don't have a drawplate (yet...........) lol.

Thanks Carole, although looks like my wallet is going to suffer as much as I thought!.

Sonia

I've just been and ordered 0.8 and 1.5 mm wire - got a lot of the 0.5 and 1 mm that I also use. Have a bit of 1.2 mm, but haven't used much of it so far.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Yesterday I ordered a load of 0.5mm and 0.3mm to do some more Viking knit, and it arrived this morning Might take it with me on my Hols. We are self catering and not great party animals so quiet nights in after a full days walking in the French Alps might give me some time with my wire...

Quote Originally Posted by Ominicci View Post
    Yesterday I ordered a load of 0.5mm and 0.3mm to do some more Viking knit, and it arrived this morning Might take it with me on my Hols. We are self catering and not great party animals so quiet nights in after a full days walking in the French Alps might give me some time with my wire...
    Ooh good idea Nicci - I'm going away next week and was trying to decide how to minimise my jewellery withdrawal symptoms. Maille is a great idea- yay
    Emma

Hi Sonia,

Think the offer is over now? I ordered 1mm to finish a tri colour (rose gold, gold and silver) jens pind anklet and 2mm to make a chunky jens pind or other projects I'm not sure, lol.

What did you order?
    For your FREE box of graze.com enter code: QM3PPXTN (I don't work for them. Just received my yummy box).

Facebook Page - Please 'like' me
    Etsy Shop - KDL Jewellery

Hi Karen

I ended up buying 0.6, 0.8. 1.0, 1.2, and 1.5 I looked at the heavier weights but by this stage I already needed a second mortgage so thought I had better stop!!!

Sonia

Hi Sonia,

You ordered a good selection of wire! I wish I had ordered some 0.6. Will have to add that to my next order

Karen
    For your FREE box of graze.com enter code: QM3PPXTN (I don't work for them. Just received my yummy box).

Facebook Page - Please 'like' me
    Etsy Shop - KDL Jewellery