Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slightly Scared!

Default Slightly Scared!

Hi there.

I've been slightly inactive in the forum for a while, which i am sad about & sorry for.
    But am in great need of advice and support!
    Today I am in Vogue magazine!!! and the orders have already started coming in for my rings, which I cannot tell you how chuffed and flattered I am.
    But above all I'm freaking out slightly as I have a distinct lack of silver, space, time and money.
    When people are ordering online, how do I go about helping people distinguish theirs/their girlfriends ring sizes, Do I need to order loads of those plastic ring sizer things?
    If so where can i buy them in bulk?
    Does anyone know where i can buy 2mm stamps with '?', ',' a heart shape and a star?
    And any other tips would be hugely welcome.

Thank you for your time... even just to read and be amused by the blind panic!
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

sorry I can't help I'm a newbie, just learning as I go, but would love to see pics of your ring in vogue
    thanks and good luck
    Wendy

Stamps on Etsyhttp://www.etsy.com/listing/54090351/question-mark-design-stamp-metal?ref=sr_list_4&ga_search_query=question+mark+ stamp&ga_search_type=supplies&ga_page=&order=&incl udes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

Probably stars on there as well.
    Don't wish to scare you even more,but expect your customer,to get the ring size wrong if they measure themselves.Usually to big.When i had customers,they would go for the first ring sizer that would go on their finger.After resizing every other ring.I would tell them what size they were.You wont snug to quite tight going over the knuckle.
    Saying that though the best ring sizer I found was ones like a little plastic belt,that had half sizes on as well,and went from an A to Z+. I think I did actually get them from Exchange Findings,which cooksons took over.
    Another solution I've seen is a set of printed circles that your customer would place a ring that fits over until they find one that matches,then that's their size.
    This helps in a few ways,It's probably more accurate(they are using a ring that fits) than letting them measure themselves and i would imagine half the time,the ring will be a surprise,so they wont be able to use a ring sizer without giving the game away. Plus it's only a pieces of paper,your posting them,or you could email them a file,that they could print out.
    Good luck

Dear Hannah,
    Cooksons sell the plastic multisizer and there will be other sources including, I think Lynco, a packaging comany in London. There are difficulties in making rings by mail order, but if you have already thought it through, forgive me for stating the obvious.

If clients order from memory, then be prepared to have a conversion chart between English, Continental and American sizes, or a ring stick with them all on. The plastic sizers will be flexible and slightly oval, so will go on more easily than a similar rigid ring. You will have to experiment to see whether you need to go up by say a half size to compensate for this

Lastly the wire you use for your rings will have to be of the same width and internal shape (round or flat) as the ring sizers or you will go wrong. To be absolutely sure you would have to make up brass or copper models for a second fitting, because some people will still return them as being wrong. Then there is nothing for it but to keep sending out more patterns, reduced or increased by half sizes.

You could of course opt to split your shanks so that people can adjust them themselves.

Good luck and kind regards, Dennis.

(note to Shaun, Sorry we were posting at the same time, so I did not see what you wrote. Hope you are well, D.)
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-09-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Thank you for your helpful replies.
    That paper sizer sounds just perfect. Any idea where I can get those?
    The rings in question are 2x2mm square wire at resent, possibly moving up to 2.5mm though. so i don't think there will be too much lost in translation, perhaps I'm being naive. Ive just had my first order from Vogue! first one and they need help with sizing! Eek, why oh why did i not plan for this?

There is a photo of the 'InspiRings' On my profile if you fancy a look.

Hannah
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

Thank you Shaun.

I have sent this off to a couple of customers an not had any sizes back yet. It has just occurred to me, could the image get distorted in the printing process... and therefore the ring sizes be null and void?

Have now had a couple of orders via Vogue, Eek!!!
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

I've just printed that out and placed my ring on it and its way too small.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/pdf/ring_s...de_0610-UK.pdf Try this one its a lot more accurate when printed out as long as you follow the instructions!

That's is incredible, thank you Rock Hard Fairy!
    I spose i cant really use it as it had 'Blue nile' all over it thought
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website