Thread: Hello from Gloucestershire

Question Hello from Gloucestershire

I have been making silver jewellery for about 4 years having attended some evening classes but am mainly self taught. My reason for surfing the web and happily finding this Forum is that I have made a napkin ring for my grandson's christening and need advise on how to achive a mirror polish, I have spent ages working on it with my Dremil type polisher using Tripoli then Crocus but as the area is large I am left with marks, I do not have access to a large polishing machine. I have put the napkin ring in the barrel polisher for a few hours but this does not give a uniform polish. Having read the some of the messages yesterday I ordered mirco mesh, which I hope will arrive today, the christening is Sunday week! Can any of you talented people advise me please?

Hi Frances, from another Glos resident - whereabouts are you?

I use micromesh a lot, especially for larger pieces, but for a final polish, I've switched from tripoli and rouge to using luxi (water based) polishing compounds, which I'm very impressed with.

Hi George, Thank you so much,can you tell me where I can get luxi, please. I am in the Forest.

Frances, you can get luxi direct from the manufacturer - LUXI Shop for silver, the blue and then white are the best choice.

I'm down in Ciren, feel free to give me a shout if you ever come over this way

Dear Frances,
    If you don't have a polishing lathe, dont be ashamed to use brasso, then silvo (possibly as wadding and wearing gloves). but a mirror finish shows up all the scratches you thought you had got rid of and also firescale as unsightly blotches which were previously not noticeable.
    The result is that I mostly go for a satin finish using those dark grey brick shaped sponges covered in abrasive which painters use. you can find them in Leyland, B&Q, and sometimes very cheaply on market stalls. You soon learn to use them in one direction only for best results and to choose the finer grades. Some people even use them to dislay their work at craft fairs. Kind regards, Dennis.

Thank you so much for all your help. Guss what I will be doing all weekend! Will let you know how I get on. Have a good weekend. Frances

Hello Frances. I'm down in Chepstow so not too far from you!

Hi Frances!
    Dragonfly (Lynne)

http://www.thedragonflycompany.com

for all things chain maille - supplies, chain maille kits and tuition

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup!

Hi Frances, its good to have you on board.

Welcome

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers