Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Bristol

Ooo, you asked about Ebay tools too...

Well, it is a good resource, but apart from second-hand branded items, there's a lot to watch out for!

There are two particularly expensive objects-of-desire that people seem to lust after and have cheap versions on Ebay: The Swanstrom Disc Cutter and a Rolling Mill.

The cheap versions of the rolling mills have varying reviews, but they do at least seem to work at least for a bit. The cheap versions of the disc cutters have poorer reviews and will probably disappoint from first use.

I would recommend Proops-Brothers on Ebay for useable tools but perhaps not top-notch quality.

hello I'm new to all this too.
    Someone on one of the forums mentioned using a kids national geographic tumbler for polishing, so i bought one, and some steel shot. It works fine so long your pieces fit thru the opening
    Jille

If you have the mini-torch in the starter kit, it will only do for very small items such as chains, jump rings and maybe cufflinks. A good beginner's option for bigger items is a Taymar, or GoSystem plumbing torch from a DIY place. It should be self-igniting, and the gas should be propane/butane mix. This is all I ever use. Get it from somewhere within easy reach, or you might find the refills difficult to buy.
    The size of the cylinder only affects the available working time, the power is related to the diameter of the burner and the type of gas. You will also need a flame resistant soldering hearth, such as a large roasting tin or cheap barbecue base and an open window for ventilation. You don’t need charcoal for silver, but more than one brick will be useful to reflect heat back onto your work. Sorry if the advice is getting a bit heavy, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-09-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Wow. Thanks again guys for your truly valued input! I have time as I'm still completing the workshop (currently sealing all the holes that the potato bugs are getting in!) You have all given me exactly the kind of advice I need. I will take it!! I need a bit of a rethink now. When I get a little proper time I'll go through the list again and see if I can add and trim to a better fit.

I'm really grateful for your responses. Thanks so much. It is wonderful to have a sense of support right now. I really want to do this...and I will! : )

Hi John, I'm also a Bristol resident so a special welcome from me I'd be interested to know which course it is you are doing. I haven't done any courses as yet, but have been bumbling along on my own trying to learn as much as I can about working with silver and silver clay.
    I am a self-confessed tool addict (like most people on here I expect!) and have rapidly built up quite a collection I have to agree with what Dennis said about ending up with a 'grave yard'! Personally I'd be wary of buying starter kits as to me they often seem to contain stuff that I already have, or maybe don't need. Your shopping list does sound quite pricey for the number of items you have on there. Maybe you should consider little tweaks such as making your own jumprings and scouting around the shops on the streets for hammers/files etc. I only recently discovered Bristol Tools on Gloucester Rd, for example, who have quite a nice little stash of hammers/files/drill bits etc...and a lot of the prices are cheaper than most internet suppliers...a rare find in this day and age And it's refreshing to actually see stuff 'in the flesh' and be able to chat to someone for more advice.
    Anyway, good luck with the shopping, I know it's a bit overwhelming at first!! Looking forward to seeing what you create!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Oh, and before he has to shamefully promote himself... do check out Andrew Berry's videos on YouTube and On-Line Jewellery Courses and Training for Jewellers – At The Bench: Home for some brilliant tips about tools.

Hi FVT, Thanks for your post. I've been wondering if there was somewhere I could go like that. That's really helpful. I think it's all the little bits that can add up. The course is at Windmill Hill City Farm. If you google "C3521542" you'll find it. It's run by the Workers Educational Association and is an "improvers" course. I still haven't bought anything at all yet. I think once my workshop space is finished (another week or so) then I'll get moving but the tool shop is a brilliant tip. Maybe they'd have a vice? No immediate rush but after a lot of hard work converting my old spider filled shed into a super cosy workshop I'm feeling pretty committed! I've built a super sturdy jewellers bench and a nice work table top with shelves from scratch. It seems I'm pretty handy as a carpenter too. It's just jewellery on a bigger scale! : ) So yes. Will definitely stay in touch. Might see you at the course! If not maybe at some other point we could stay in touch through the forum and meet someday to swap techniques. (No pressure....just nice to have kindred spirits around!). Keep up the good work. Will keep you posted as I go.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I had a look into the course. I've heard murmurings about Windmill Hill before, sounds like fun :-) I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it. Sounds like you have a nice workspace evolving! I'd love to make my own bench one day :-) Currently I'm using a very nice wooden table, but it's too lovely to make marks in so I have to be extra careful! Anyway, good luck with the course...and yes maybe we can 'talk tools & techniques' one day!

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

Thanks Joe for the plug. Got there before I did. LOL

Great place to be with loads of helpfull members.

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

Hi again John....if you are a carpenter you probably already know it, but rediscovered this great shop today in Bristol:

Bristol Design Woodworking Tools

They have a mix of new and secondhand tools. I got a great little domed stake, and some other useful looking little tools...and nice chaps to chat to in there too :-)