Thread: International Jewellery London.

Default International Jewellery London.

I have just come back from the first day of International Jewellery London. Generally I skip the main body of the exhibition and head straight for the tools and gemstones. However I did buy a couple of those sports watches on a rubber bracelet to entertain the grandchildren.
    Suttons was the only tool company showing, but I had a good browse. I am always attracted there by the Benchmate system, but in the end gave myself a good talking to and resisted temptation.
    There were lots of gemstone dealers, but my favourite one, Lorenz was isolated right at the beginning, on the left. He had only one small table and spent the whole time shuffling his trays so that people could browse his carved stones. To add to his troubles his card machine would not connect, so I had to leave the exhibition to find an ATM. Here is the onyx I bought to make some pendant earrings, hanging from the square studs and the stone for a ring to match. When they are ready, later in the year I shall post them to see what you think. Dennis.

I bought one of those rubber watches on plane to my hols as it was supposed to be a sports watch - it packed up within 5 days and obviously could not withstand the stress of warm water and sunshine. Back to my trusty old swatch collection as these are pretty indestructible (crikey, I have typed that ruddy word about 10 times before I got it looking right and I'm still not completely convinced...)

Anyone heading to IJL over the next couple of days should keep an eye out on the travel arrangements - there is a planned 24-hr tube strike starting at 6pm on Monday. which will cause havoc if it goes ahead. Check the arrangements for London transport on http://www.tfl.gov.uk

I'm hoping to get there on Wednesday if the strike goes ahead.
    Last edited by kymbi; 05-09-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: correct the website address for TFL
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

looking forward to seeing the onyx set dennis! i cant visit ijl this year - at work the whole time so please tell me it was rubbish, and didnt miss much...

my sister has one of those watches as well, hers has been fine for ages now, and also withstands a two year old playing with it all the time!

[Quote:]so please tell me it was rubbish, and didnt miss much...
    It was rubbish and you didn't miss much. There's always the Rock n Gem at Kempton Park as a consolation prize. Could we call you by a name, even if it's only 'Hey You' ? Kind regards, Dennis.

They're very inspirational onyx pieces you bought Dennis - I can't help thinking of your famous automata when I see such regular, modernist shapes...

I was there yesterday as well - managed to resist temptation over tools as well which was really impressive as I had my credit card with me. All I bought in the end was strings of carnelian teardrop and lapis tube beads. But it was interesting to look around.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    [Quote:]so please tell me it was rubbish, and didnt miss much...
    It was rubbish and you didn't miss much. There's always the Rock n Gem at Kempton Park as a consolation prize. Could we call you by a name, even if it's only 'Hey You' ? Kind regards, Dennis.
    Hello! I managed to go today due to being able to wangle a day off! I had a great time, and also bought a few shiny things.
    My name is Amy, but will answer to 'Hey You', and many other names