Thread: PMC versus Art Silver Clay

Default PMC versus Art Silver Clay

I worked with PMC a little and would like to know what the main difference (if there is any) between Art Silver Clay and PMC. I know that PMC tends to be a bit more expensive.
    Can Art Clay be fired with a torch?
    Helen

I've only used Art Clay, mainly the Slow Dry...and yes I fire it with a torch. I am wondering the opposite of you Helen, can you torch fire PMC or PMC3? Am curious also to know any other differences...apart from the slightly higher price ;-)

hi,
    I've used Art clay slow dry and pmc, I prefer pmc, I find it a better texture that is easier to work with, Art clay is a dryer texture and shows cracks when curved or twisted. We torch fired one piece of pmc on a short course I did. (so you can torch fire pmc) I was led to believe both should be kiln fired to be strong enough for jewellery to be sold, but I was also told they can be work hardened and treated as silver once fired (not sure if they ment kiln or torch fired) Hope this helps
    Wendy

PMC3 and Art Clay 650 are pretty comparable in terms of fininshed product. The main difference is in the working texture. As Wendy said, Art Clay is a stiffer forumla, PMC is a lot softer and elasticy. You can torch fire both products, but kiln firing does make the pieces much, much stronger (whichever brand), give them both a go and see which consistency is better for you.

As for pricing - Art Clay has just gone up quite a bit and PMC is now a bit cheaper per gram on retail prices!! A 20g pack of AC is £1.42 per gram, and on a 25g pack of PMC3 is £1.24

HTH

Becci
    x

Goodness! Is that how much it costs now? 25g of sterling casting grain works out at about 50p a gram.....

Yep and I've been wondering whether they'd put the prices down if silver were to drop