Thread: OK to flush set diamonds in silver?

Default OK to flush set diamonds in silver?

I want to make my mum a ring with small diamonds (about 2mm) set at intervals all the way round. However, I can't stretch to white gold at the moment. Would it be feasible to flush set these very small diamonds in sterling silver and give her the ring on the understanding that it's not for every day use? Or should I just swallow the cost and go for white gold?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Bob

There is no real problem in doing that, Bob and the choice is yours, but 9ct white is beautiful, tarnish resistant and hard wearing.
    My main worry is that if you have not done this before (and I don't know whether you have) the result could look a right mess, even more so when tarnish sets in. Please do not assume that you can pick this up in an afternoon. Remedy: Use silver and CZs, which are cheap and do some practicing, or get a setter to put in the diamonds for you. There would be no shame in that. Kind regards, Dennis.

Diamonds in silver?? just doesn't go together for me.I've been out of buying gold for a few years now(I was paying less than £3 a gram for scrap,last time i bought gold!) so realize just a few grams of gold can be a big outlay.

How about a different white stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun750 View Post
    Diamonds in silver?? just doesn't go together for me.I've been out of buying gold for a few years now(I was paying less than £3 a gram for scrap,last time i bought gold!) so realize just a few grams of gold can be a big outlay.

How about a different white stone.
    Diamonds in silver has been very popular for a few years now - these are doing very well http://www.hotdiamonds.co.uk/promoti...llery-promo-20

Quote Originally Posted by Myosotis View Post
    Diamonds in silver has been very popular for a few years now - these are doing very well http://www.hotdiamonds.co.uk/promoti...llery-promo-20
    I just got out of the reatil business before gold went through the roof,so realised things have changed.Thanks for posting the link.I'll have to thi about setting some diamonds in the silver i make.

I should just like to add one more thing, Bob. In a ring made of round wire the stones are already less protected at the top and bottom edges, making them particularly prone to fall out when the metal wears. So if you decide on silver I would suggest a flat strip, about 1.2mm thick and possibly textured. Dennis.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm aware of Hot Diamonds and how successful they are, so mine isn't an aesthetic question about the use of silver, but more a question about the durability of silver versus the cost of diamonds.

Dennis, my plan is to use fairly thick D wire and to set the diamonds evenly along wire. I understand that metal wears, which was my concern about using silver in the first place. But the cost of gold really has gone through the roof.

Yes Bob, but if you imagine stones set in any round topped wire you will realise that they will be set very much deeper in the mid line and quite shallow at the edges. Hence they will be easily dislodged by wear particularly in a soft metal. With a ring the situation is reversed when you use a flat strip , so the stones will be more protected against sideways knocks even as the silver wears away. I hope it goes well, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-09-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Is it clear as mud ?

Ah yes, I see your point now. All of the similar rings I have seen were of course in a harder metal. That's a very good piece of advice, thank you.