Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting repetitive shapes from sterling sheet

Jo - thanks! I'm very pleased to hear someone else has gone down this route. I got a very reasonable quote from Dar for the pancake dies, but still need an answer to my original question - what sort of press to use?

You said you use a bench press - sorry but can you tell me which one. When I googled "bench press" I got some images of men pushing weights, which whilst nice to look at isn't, (I don't think!) what I am looking for!

I have however sucummbed to peer pressure somewhat and diarised a couple of hours to try some real piercing this weekend, but it's never going to be feasible for me to hand saw these components as they are cheaper to buy from my current supplier than the cost of my time to pierce and finish them. Knew concept saw is still on my list of things to buy, but I really need to fall in love with piercing first, and it falls lower down on my list of current priorities. I guess I'm more of a basher than a piercer. (Please don't hate me for that ;-) ).
    Emma

Sorry Emma, I missed that bit out! I've got one of these 6 ton Heavy Duty Hydraulic Bench Press BRAND NEW BOXED on eBay (end time 28-Sep-10 16:17:23 BST) It's easy to use, easys to put together and each part separately isn't too heavy - I've even taken it apart and taken it into college for my classes to use a few times for press moulding!

You are right, to be able to bear cutting out that many shapes again and again you do have to love piercing! If you can do it though it really does make your work so much more versatile. I may have dies to use, but there are always other shapes I want to do! The dies I've got won't pierce out the insides of a shape - although Dar will make those for you as well at a cost! - so I still need to do those by hand.
    Jo
    Daisychain Jewellery - Handcrafted sterling silver jewellery and jewellery tuition
    www.daisychainjewellery.co.uk
    www.daisychaindesignsjewellery.blogspot.com

muchly Jo - I have had that one on my ebay watchlist for a while, so now I know it will cut the dies it's on it's way into my purchased pile!
    Emma

Hydraulic presses are terribly tedious!

One spends a long time lining the thing up and then sets-to pumping down the press - between one and five minutes a piece.

I'm a poor excuse for a piercer, but I'd trim out a simple shape of up to 30mm diameter in 5 minutes and need less cleaning up than a pancake die.

With a professional background in metal-working, I do not believe these to be economic solutions for jewellery!

Can someone post the sort of results one gets from these press tools and final, finished result to be sent to clients?

I'm presently building a small-scale casting workshop for my pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Hydraulic presses are terribly tedious!

One spends a long time lining the thing up and then sets-to pumping down the press - between one and five minutes a piece.

I'm a poor excuse for a piercer, but I'd trim out a simple shape of up to 30mm diameter in 5 minutes and need less cleaning up than a pancake die.

With a professional background in metal-working, I do not believe these to be economic solutions for jewellery!

Can someone post the sort of results one gets from these press tools and final, finished result to be sent to clients?

I'm presently building a small-scale casting workshop for my pieces!
    I'm all for cutting out,but think it's an individual choice what folks prefer to do,cut or ,stamp and file.
    I gave up on casting years ago,but would like to see your results.