Thread: need help with ring sizing

Default need help with ring sizing

Made a ring today, measured the finger added on width of the metal but it still turned out to small, thankfully it was for me but can you help me get it right please?

Slightly to small is ok,don't think your gonna get it right first time without some tapping up.It makes a neater job if you tap it up a bit, if the metals thick enough.It will get slightly bigger again,once you've spun the inside with emery paper and polished it.
    It's probably like following a recipe, even though you follow it exactly.It still takes a few times to get it right.
    Lets see the ring then

Hi Linn,
    Ring sizing is a very big subject, and I have a long winded post ready for when more members are back from their hols. Firstly measure your size with a sizer of the same width and contour as the material you are going to use. The reason is the wider the ring the larger the size will have to be for the same finger. Secondly skip the maths and make your shank by fitting it to a ring mandrel or ring stick about one size smaller than you want. Then gently stretch to size with an upright ring stretcher. They are expensive, but can be found second hand. In my book they are essential if you are going to make lots of rings without bashing them about on a mandrel. Failing this make a cheap model ring in copper or brass, slightly too big and gradually resize it until it is just right. then cut it, flatten it and copy. Very tedious.
    Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 20-08-2010 at 07:56 PM.

thanks for the replies, it is my first so real plain, just wanted to have a go. I will just have to bash it on a mandrel for now! As a norm I do make stuff in copper first but this time just went for it. Will keep my eyes peeled for your post Dennis!