Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torch not hot enough?

Default Torch not hot enough?

Hi this is my first post and I could really do with some help please, I am trying to solder a silver bangle made from 2.5mm round wire, i am using a hand held torch, Go Gas, I think it heats to 1300 from what I remember when I bought it but I just cannot seem to get the bangle to even look like it is getting hot, I am also using a charcoal block. I have even tried my mini micro cooks torch which heats to 1300 at the same time and still the bangle just wont heat. I am guessing that they are just not hot enough and wonder if anyone can confirm this please and then perhaps a recommendation of a new torch !

I have looked at the Sievert 2335 Ultra Powerjet Gas Blow Torch from Hamiltons and would like to know if you think it would be ok. I am also toying with the idea of buying the Sievert torch kit from Cooksons.

Any help would be very much appreciated , thank you Louise.

could be the size of the flame - im not familiar with the torch you have, but if the flame is too small for the size of the piece it will take forever to get hot enough all the way round.

also how do you have your soldering blocks set up? i have mine in an alcove shape, so that the heat will reflect back & sort of stay in one concentrated area.

with bigger pieces i dont think you can go wrong with a proper decent torch & gas connection - canister or whatnot. i have a fairly large handheld torch which just cuts it for my pieces which arent as big as bangles.

I happily solder 2.5mm with a handheld - usually my cheap old faithful Lakeland cooks torch to be honest.

If you want a sievert kit, Hamiltons do it for about half the price of Cooksons (sorry chaps). I hate mine and prefer my orca by far for a propane only torch. Much nicer balance and good range of flame sizes, and adjustable air flow which makes a huge difference.

Dear Louise,
    If you are talking about a Go-System torch like they sell in ironmongers and DIY supermarkets , then it is plenty hot enough and I have used the similar Taymar version exclusively for sixteen years with no problem. The hottest part of the flame is just infront of the blue cone and the gas should be a propane -butane mix. There is no need to use charcoal, but the advice above to use several of those grey soldering bricks to form an enclosure is good. A lid will make it even hotter. Then try to heat your bangle evenly without directing the flame onto the solder. Use borax or Auflux. Kind regards, Dennis.

I'm no expert but I was taught to use the plumbers torch with gas cannister from B&Q and that's all i use, however I was taught to use the one with the larger cannister for bangles, it works for me

Thanks for the very helpful replies, I dont normally solder something as large as a bangle at home and have never had any soldering problems, I usually leave the bigger bits for college, I have just been trying to solder by putting the Bangle onto the charcoal block nothing else so perhaps that it where is am going wrong, I am now off to find some grey soldering bricks. Regarding a lid - can any metal be used, wondering if I have something at home that could be modified?

so far I have only used Borax what is the difference with Auflux.

Thanks.

Default Improvised Kiln.

Sorry my reply was not clear enough. By a lid I meant yet another brick in effect making an improvised kiln. Here is an example I have posted before in connection with torch firing PMC and also my torch. The size of canister only affects the hours of gas time, but the mix of propane/butane is important.
    Borax is fine, but Auflux(Auroflux) does not bubble as much as it is a liquid. Both are only good for hard and medium solder, for easy solder use easy flux.
    Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-09-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks Dennis for taking the trouble to post the pictures - I understand what you mean now, so am just off to order a couple more soldering blocks, thanks again Louise

thanks everyone one bangle successfully soldered, thanks to making a little kiln ! thanks Dennis