Thread: cut out size

Default cut out size

Hi
    I was wondering if the cut out in a work bench was a particular size, and if so what size?
    thanks Wendy

Default On Work Benches.

The cut out on a bench varies, but 450mm wide by 250mm at its deepest gives some indication.
    As I have limited space I have kept my work surface intact, but fixed on a sliding drawer using a tray from a plastic vegetable rack with bolted on aluminium angle pieces from B&Q. When not in use this can be pushed right back and the bench peg removed to give more desktop. It’s a different way of life, but has served me well for sixteen years.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, love your under drawer idea :-) Wendy

That's the kind of outside the box thinking I like.
    Do you ever end up on your hands and knees if parts fall through the gaps Dennis?
    No matter how big my skin was I would drop something so it fell on the floor,it's the only time i sweep up then looking for the damn thing!!

I don't think I've ever measured the hole I've cut for a work bench?? I've made quite few over the years.It's just reminded me I made a portable one for markets and bootsales.The first time I started putting it together at a market,someone said "your not playing the organ mate,are you?" I also made one from a cheap workmate ,that could be folded up and put away.
    I once had the idea to make one in a complete circle that you would sit inside the hole.
    Guess where I got the idea for that from?? http://www.spectrum-headquarters.com/ControlRoom1.jpg

Dustbin lid sized!

Quote: 'Do you ever end up on your hands and knees if parts fall through the gaps Dennis?'
    Strangely, it does not have enough bounce, so no. But I do end up on my hands and knees when I forget to pull the drawer out, hence the torch.

Quote: 'Dustbin lid sized'.
    Definitely not Carole, Your work is brill, it deserves a lot better than that.

I suppose it depends on the size of your tummy...

My work bench is a converted computer table which has a slide out keyboard shelf which I ram into my tummy but whatever I do bits ping of into the unknown (in my case a rug) and I do spend time crawling around with a torch.

It's not the getting down that's the problem, it's getting back up.