Thread: Drill bits for acrylic?

Default Drill bits for acrylic?

Hi all,
    I've read that normal drill bits bite and break acrylic (which I'm wanting to use to make some pieces). I can't find anywhere that supplies suitable 'bits' though - I'm not geared up to adapt a drill bit I have. (I want to use my dremel).
    Any help appreciated.
    Lydia x

Lydia, could you explain a bit more of what you are doing? It will be important to slow down your Dremel. If you just mean twist drills to make holes, then normal drills are fine. The only problem is that if they get hot the acrylic melts and jams them, so go slowly and use a little machine oil. Burrs are ok too if you use the biggest and coarsest possible, but there are special ones meant for this.
    For sawing try to find sawblades meant for wood, with very spaced out teeth and use a lubricant frequently.
    For finishing the edges of sheet, coarse files or those pink mounted stones are best.
    For polishing use a coarse emery compound on a calico wheel, followed by Vonax on a fluffy cotton wheel. Hope some of this helps, kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 16-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Dennis, I wish I had a mini version of you - you're fab!
    I just want to drill (1-3mm holes) through 3mm perspex/acrylic sheet I've cut to shape.
    Thanks so much, I will take it steady!
    Lydia

Thanks, but for bigger holes do an intermediate size first. Also if you have spare offcuts, do a test run. D.

I'd be inclined to do these with a hand drill (archimedes is fine). The minimum speed setting, if I recall, on a dremel is 5000 rpm, which may well be fast enough to cause you a problem.

I use a pillar drill with a normal 2.3mm drill bit and it works fine. You have to be careful if using any other sort of drill that you drill straight down or you'll get an angled hole (not as easy as it sounds).

thanks all, I don't have a hand drill - but will go as slowly as possible and let you know how it goes

I was drilling small holes and sawing acrylic yesterday - standard drillbits and running the drillpress fairly low, backing the drill out to clear chips every second. Burr Life was recommended as a lube; none available so we used veg oil...!

For sawing, we've been using spiral saw blades for wax - which have been surprisingly effective; they don't bind, but they do need more cleanup.

If you're drilling larger holes, do work your way through the sizes as the bit will be only too happy to grab the piece as it breaks through otherwise.