Thread: Expected life expectancy of slow cooker as pickle pot??

Default Expected life expectancy of slow cooker as pickle pot??

I read somewhere that the pickle eventually "dissolves" the glaze on the crock pots in slow cookers and that they will need replacing. I was wondering what the expected life expectancy is of the pot?

If anyone else has wondered this, I can now tell you that it is approximately 36 hours if left on low by mistake!!

WOOPS!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7230684.jpg   P7230677.jpg   P7230681.jpg  

Oh dear. Did you not have your pickle in a glass bowl within the slow cooker? If you did, bloody hell!
    Di x

No. In the crock pot and since i'd overfilled it by mistake, fortunately it hadn't completely dried out, but the damage was done

I now have 2 bargain argos slow cookers, just in case

One suggestion I have seen is to use a timer plug and set it to the approximate time you expect to be working. Then it will switch itself off, or you can set it again if you are working longer. I like my Plate warmer/pyrex dish/tealight set up because of a similar reason. The cheap tea lights only last about 2-3 hours and if I am working longer I can light another one, but if I forget to blow it out when I have finished then it will go out on its own. I also have one of those Fire Angel smoke alarms that is installed in the light fitting in my workroom (although I don't think they sell them anymore) it has a rechargable battery in it that is charged by switching the light on, so it is always working. If the light isn't switched on for a while it beeps gently to remind you to charge it and I then leave the light on for 12 hours to charge it up.

Good tip about the timer plug. I'm always trying to do a hundred things at once so I'm suprised that I haven't forgotten to switch off the pickle pot.

After a couple of years use, I find the glaze on my cheap crockpots tends to craze, and the pickle leaches through to the aluminium underneath. So far it hasn't eaten through my second one, but it's starting to show signs of suffering.