Thread: Hello from South of France

Talking Hello from South of France

I have been making jewellery on and off for a few years now and feel now I should go and get contacts and learn from other practitioners.
    Working by oneself can get a bit stuck at times, good to see forum like this going on.

I wonder if anybody experienced silver exploding whilst heating. I think I stressed it too much.!?

Oh well!

Only if you heat a hollow piece with no vents, so they say, but i've never experienced it. Kind regards and welcome, Dennis.

Only soldering hollow earrings and not very often.Sometimes i would drill a hole in them before hand and sometimes not bother,the solder in a join would melt and let the gas out.

I did pour some gold into a cold skillet once, with to much wd40 in.The gold shot back out and hit the ceiling,it went as far as the shop glass counter,and made permanent marks on the counter.
    A week later i worked out why i had small holes in the back of my T-shirt and little scabs on my back.It was where the gold had come down from the ceiling.I left the black marks on the ceiling to remind me not to be so silly.
    Those were fun days

I have not ventured making hollow anything yet. I was solder18ct rose gold onto s. silver sheet and then when I reheated it up for further hammering it just exploded like a firecraker. good job I wore an old t-shirt and stood far enough. It broke into 4 pieces.