Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swanstrom disc cutter owners - help please!

Default Swanstrom disc cutter owners - help please!

Woohoo, my disc cutter finally arrived (and customs wasn't too bad, although I did have to drive a fair way to pick it up.)

I've been playing with it all day, cutting discs in various sizes. I now have a lovely pile of holey scrap, and some pretty discs. However, the discs all seem to need some serious sanding/ filing around the edges, which is where my question comes in.

I'm cutting cookies sheet (fully annealed/ soft), with the plastic left on to protect it. I'm using a 1lb brass hammer, cut lube on the punches and bashing them whilst the cutter sits on a rubber base.

Should the discs be coming out with rough edges or am I doing something wrong?

Thankyou in advance!
    Emma

Well, my discs do need finishing when they come out but I wouldn't say they were 'seriously' rough. Are you screwing the top plate down hard enough? Oh, and take the cutter off the rubber base (just noticed that), the rubber will, in effect, make the punch bounce as it goes down. Use a firm surface.
    Di x

How many strikes are you taking to cut the disk? Ideally, you want to get through first time. You need to have the cutter on a very sturdy surface and hit it REALLY hard! I never have to clean up edges on anything other than very thin sheet.

So pleased it arrived at last!

Thanks guys - it is taking me a few goes to get through, so maybe that's the problem? I guess I need to practice my whack!

Also curious about both your comments of using a really sturdy surface / no rubber underneath. What do you put it on? The rio tutorial I watched said you have to cut with a rubber or polyeurethene base underneath or you risk damaging the punches. Obviously using the rubber base it came with might be making it bounce a bit, but what should I use as a barrier between the cutter and my concrete floor?

Yep G - I'd almost given up, which was why when I got my customs claim card today I had to drive out right away to get it. Couldn't bear phoning up to arrange delivery and having to wait another second!
    Emma

Mines on my workbench, which is fairly sturdy (well, actually it's very sturdy). I use a 2lb hammer that I got from B&Q specifically for the purpose and I give it a full, swinging blow. Make sure you hit the punch dead centre. I can see why they say that a hard surface might damage the punches cos they do go straight through but hit it straight and clean and they'll be fine. There are no marks on the wood where the punch exists the hole, and it is used on a virtually daily basis, so I guess it would show by now. I do make sure it's well 'lubed' up with cut lube.
    Di x

I use a regular hard cutting mat - which is forgiving enough not to damage punches, without being being as soft as rubber, which could be a bit too bouncy.

I have the pepe one but I never get through on the first whack! I guess that depends on the gauge you are usuing. I have mine on a very strudy work bench. My edges always need filing and sanding - they don't cut to a bright finish I'm afraid.

Mine doesn't go through first whack either. Maybe I need to use a bigger hammer. I'm noticing that the punches get stuck sometimes as well. For the larger ones I use my hydraulic press but it still doesn't always go straight through.

Thank you - glad to know I'm not a mega weakling after all. George, you must be super-strong!!!

I took it off the rubber base, and put it on a chopping board which seems to have helped a little. I'm using 0.7mm sheet, so maybe it would be easier with a thinner gauge but I'm so happy to have it finally, I'll just put up with the finishing until my arm strengthens and I can bash em out in one!
    Emma

I have just purchased a disc cutter. I intend to practice with .5mm copper sheet. Do I need to anneal before cutting ?