Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free copper sheet

Default Free copper sheet

Bleeding obvious to many, but I still keep coming across people to whom this is new:

1. Find a short piece of copper pipe. 22mm is good, but 15mm is OK too. Make sure there is no solder on it; paint is OK, but it will stink to high heaven shortly.
    2. Cut a slit down the length of the piece. A saw gives me the cleanest edges, while shears tend to leave a slightly more jagged edge. If there is any internal ridge to the pipe, try to cut along there.
    3. Anneal the chunk of pipe. Get it up to a nice dull red, then quench in water or air cool as the mood takes you. While this isn't strictly a pipe any more, don't point one end towards you if you do quench it (quenching pipes like this can blast a jet of scalding water and steam).
    4. Pickle it.
    5. Using fingers (for 22mm pipe) or ring pliers, splay the pipe open. Then flatten it on a bench block, anvil or other flat surface.

You now have a sheet of fairly pure (.999) copper about 0.8 to 0.9mm thick. A 22mm pipe unrolls to about 2 1/2" wide.

Trivially simple, isn't it?

Hi Peter. good plan I have not bought any copper for the last 15yrs old piping and old water tanks are great someone is always replacing tanks ect all the best myke

The older the better on water tanks. The newer ones with blown foam insulation are a pest - I've got one sat around that I still haven't chopped up. I think I'll need to use a paint scraper to get the foam off first, which will either leave some foam on or scar up the surface of the tank. Oh well.

Hi Peter with the foam coverd tanks I have found if you take chanel of foam of then leave the weather rain ect to to it,s work for a month then the foam comes off without to much hassle. all the best myke

Brilliant idea and something I had not thought of.
    If you are feeling really adventurous you could go for the really big one which will keep you in copper for a couple of years. Go to freecycle and offer something up free before you ask for an old copper hot water tank preferably without a foam covering. I have cut up one of these by hand before now but my last one was such thick copper I had to get help from a local coppersmith. Not so good for jewellery because of the weight but good for beating, enamel pictures etc.
    Paula

Quote Originally Posted by myke View Post
    Hi Peter with the foam coverd tanks I have found if you take chanel of foam of then leave the weather rain ect to to it,s work for a month then the foam comes off without to much hassle. all the best myke
    So that is enough to loosen it? Excellent, thanks Myke!
    I *really* didn't want to start burning that stuff...

I tend to use aviation shears when cutting the big stuff up - an angle grinder isn't good because the copper galls so much and grabs the disc - particularly problematic if you're using the very thin "plasma" discs.

What a great idea. So if we all start rummaging through skips together, it won't seem so bad?

Ha, I already skip rummage for acrylic.....sign makers off cuts! usually free or charity donation
    E

I've got so much to learn. I actually PAID for some acrylic recently.

LOL, well if you get exactly what you want...skips can be random! worth a rummage tho!
    E