Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free copper sheet

Thanks for this tip.

My Dad is a bathroom fitter and so always has plenty of copper pipe hanging around - that is until I raided his supply after reading this
    Michelle x

Got a bit bored yesterday afternoon, so guess what I did! My dremel came with a free mini disc cutter attachment and discs, which I said I'd never have a use for, well I did
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   016.jpg   023.jpg  
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

but if you buy the copper pipe then its not free!?

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    but if you buy the copper pipe then its not free!?
    Mine was an offcut from when the new shower was fitted, so it was free

The trouble is that the scrap price is quite good so most plumbers have a scrap bin just like our scrap pots, but bigger and they visit the scrappy when they are full. This means they aren't quite so likely to pass on offcuts, unless you have a plumber in the family.

I've now polished my pendant and it looks like new.
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybank View Post

The trouble is that the scrap price is quite good so most plumbers have a scrap bin just like our scrap pots, but bigger and they visit the scrappy when they are full. This means they aren't quite so likely to pass on offcuts, unless you have a plumber in the family.

I've now polished my pendant and it looks like new.
    Sorry Sunny and a very nice pendant it is to

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybank View Post

How lucky am I! I wish my Dad would give up his job soon as I worry about it being too physical for him (although he gets mad cos he is only 54) so right now I am going to shut up about it for a while and enjoy the free copper
    Michelle x

My sources for plumbing copper are offcuts from jobs I've been doing, old stuff ripped out during replumbing - and I have colleagues who donate bits & pieces from time to time. So... Net cost is basically zero. Bear in mind a 6" length of pipe is naff-all use for subsequent jobs! Mind you, I'm in the process of teaching another colleague how to reshape one as a venturi for his biodiesel reactor, so that's another use for short lengths.

I have 5 grades around at the moment - untouched thicker sheet (bought form stockholders), pipe & cylinders that haven't been reformed yet, a bucket with small usable bits, another bucket with bits even I can't think of much use for and a 3rd bucket with the solder-contaminated pipe fittings. Keeping that separate should theoretically make for a better price when I do dump the scrap.

I was amused to see an EBay listing the other week with someone selling copper sheet that had been reclaimed from pipe...

Peter

My Dad asked me what size lengths to cut the pipe too so that I can use it (he is going to saw it first in to smaller pieces so that I can store it easier at home )but I wasn't really sure what to suggest what sort of length would you suggest?
    Michelle x

As with everything, "it depends". 6" is not a bad size - opening out much more than that can be a pain. Sometimes longer bits are handy though - you can make them shorter, sticking them back together isn't quite so easy.

I did think sticking them back together would be more difficult. I'm a total novice at the moment so will request six inch tubes for now - don't want to make my life too complicated!

Thanks for your response.
    Michelle x