Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Websites - how to look professional cheaply

Default Websites - how to look professional cheaply

I am looking to build a website and have been struggling with a mrsite-site now for some time. Should I have spent a bit more money and got someone to do it for me? I have no technical knowhow and it is taking up a lot of time that I don't have. A friend also suggested that perhaps if I got in touch with a local college that a student might help me out for the credos of doing it. Any advice on that anyone? in fact, any pointers at all would be very much appreciated!!

Hi Crystal,

I bought a Mr site box and i have to say up until know i have had no problems at all, i bought the box so i could have the instruction book to hand and this has been invaluable, perservere i am sure you will mange to get a great site, i to have no experience of computers.

I'm happy with my Mr Site - mainly because it's quick and easy to work with and I'd rather spend my time making stuff than writing code!

My biggest recommendation is to start by keeping it very simple. You can add bells and whistles later on, but getting a nice crisp basic design goes a very long way.

The danger with getting somebody else to do it for you is that you are then dependent on them every time you want to make changes. At least with a diy package like Mr Site, you can remain in control of everything.

If there's anything specific you're having trouble with, why not post here - there are quite a few of us using the package who could probably help.

I can highly recommend CubeCart for which you can purchase (or even find free) skins.

IMHO Mr Site's websites are awful, for some reason they are always juddery and just don't seem to work very well... but that's just my opinion, I really hate lovely jewellery on bad websites!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bijou Dragon View Post
    I can highly recommend CubeCart for which you can purchase (or even find free) skins.

IMHO Mr Site's websites are awful, for some reason they are always juddery and just don't seem to work very well... but that's just my opinion, I really hate lovely jewellery on bad websites!
    Now that doesn't sound very much like a humble opinion!

I feel quite the opposite. I have a very strong dislike of awful jewellery on great websites. It's just such a disappointment. I suspect many of the best jewellery designers have little time or inclination to be website experts as well. Nor do they necessarily have the resources to get someone else to do it for them, lovely though it would be.

Each to their own I suppose

I agee George but your site is lovely and clear and easy to follow and when you have wonderful jewellery like that you dont need much more. Mr Site is very easy to follow if you are interested this is mine www.trinketsandtins.co.uk i need to work on a banner now
    and as George says if you need help just shout

Jo, your site looks great Exactly what I mean about crisp, clear and attractive. Look forward to seeing the tins too!

ah, thanks George it was sites like yours that made me choose Mr Site. My friend makes the tins and has been away for 4 weeks so hopefully they will be on it the next few days

Jo, your site is lovely. Crystal, I suggest you persevere with Mr Site. I don't have it but that's only because my webhost had an offer on at the right time!

My understanding is that Mr Site is everything you need in the one box, including one year's hosting. How brilliant is that! Even if you changed package, most of the off-the-shelf type sites use basically the same process to get your site put together, all that's different are the templates.

Also, as George said, so many of the guys on here use Mr Site that you have a ready made resource/help desk.

Post your particular problems with it on the board here and let the guys help you out.
    Di x

Websites are a situation where a little bit of knowledge and experimentation can get you a long way and save you a fortune by not having to pay somebody else to do it for you.

I use two types of software for my sites, one is a free content management system open source software called 'Joomla CMS' which I use for my main Titanium rings trade site www.geti.cc , and the second is licenced software from Cactushop for my public Titanium rings site www.fatcowdesigns.com

My first ever site I got through a grant from Business link and cost me £250 the second also I had a grant for and it cost me £2,500, but neither of them gave me total control over it so I thought 'stuff this' I'll learn how to do it myself. now I have my own dedicated server and build websites for my customers if they want me to.

The freedom it gives me by not having to rely on other people was well worth the the effort of working long hours into the night for.