Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Versatip/Versaflame query

Question Versatip/Versaflame query

For these products what is the temperature range and minimum size of working flame?

technical specifications found on cooksons products

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    For these products what is the temperature range and minimum size of working flame?
    I have one and you would be better off with a 'Go system' or 'Taymar' as the one I have (it was the cheaper of the two) will only solder thinish silverto be able to solder rings and bangles, and I am now having to purchase a new torch, both the torches above are a fraction of the price of the dremmels. Hope this helps
    Wendy

Thanks for replying. Not sure what 'Go system' is... by 'Taymar' ...resealable, removeable, threaded butane/propane gas canister torch. I use a 'Taymar' type torch and also one of the small butane refillable torches purchased from Cooksons. These usually cover most of my soldering needs. However, just occasionally, I have a requirement for a smaller flame size. A microweld is not an option and neither are torches trailing hoses, household environment so burnt gases need to be 'clean'! Some years ago I saw two torches with a suitable flame...one was the size of a fountain pen (refillable by butane canister). and the other torch ran off little gas cartridges about 2" long. Must be something similar available...engineering, electronics, modelmaking, dentistry...?

I am not sure what application you are thinking of, as I don't feel the need for anything smaller than the usual refillable minitorch with an adjustable air intake.
    That said I have tried an inexpensive pencil torch from Maplin, but for silver at least, it was more liely to melt a chain link than solder it.

Another option along the lines you describe is the Miniflam 'S' and other dental torches which you will find at Chaperlain and Jacobs http://www.chaperlin.co.uk/catalogue/#/77/zoomed, on pp76&77. Unfortunately their online catalogue with its moving pages makes me sea-sick. Dennis.

Thank you... had a look at Chaperlaine and Jacobs...found website tricky to browse though...Microtorch was good for manufacture of chain link, but not good for the repair midway along length, (missed one link and barely soldered the other)...couldn't get the work hot enough...used larger torch, but made for a very messy cleanup up job...and was just a little bit too nerve racking. Looked at the Solderpro 50 (pin point 1300'C adjustable flame) on Maplins thank you. Looks like that may do the job...Is this the type of "pencil torch" you tried and If so, how did it compare in use compared to microtorch, please?
    Chain link: 1mm round wire...Silver ..... 9 & 1/2" bracelet.....Persian weave/foxtail style.....Tight weave, flexible once worn in but not a lot of room for repair work.
    noname.

Default Soldering Problem.

Quote: 'Looked at the Solderpro 50'.

No I have not tried that one, and I don’t do Maille, but I can see your problem. The many links in contact are conducting away your heat, while you are trying to re-solder just one.

In this case I would do two things:
    1.Build a cave out of bricks with the front open to retain your heat better.
    2.Very gently warm up the whole piece with the Taymar torch, but not to a visible redness. This will provide the background heat. Keep it going with my left hand and home in to solder the joint using a mini-torch in my right hand.

Be ready to pull the big torch away as soon as you see a change in the solder and continue with the little torch until the flow is complete. In fact you are re-enacting 'High Noon'.

In my picture the cave of bricks has been made too hot for this job, but I don’t think you need to buy another torch at all. Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 18-06-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Hi Dennis, its your nuisance call from Exeter again, I sent an email to Cooksons the other day to ask what the torch was that was in their rotating advert that had a pencil lead sized flame, because I too am having difficulty soldering jumprings without the heat melting the rest of the work. As you may remember I have a sight impediment and cant judge the distance of flame from work very well, I seem to concentrate so hard on the jumpring that I forget that the heat melts stuff close by, so end up with a lovely soldered jumpring and a melted pendant. I have a Bullfinch torch run with a butane cylinder and hose, I also have a Cooksons hand held torch, but I think that something with a smaller narrower flame would be more helpful with my sight problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Pat

I've been thing of making a small hearth like you but have been undecided on its size. Would I be right in thinking that your open front is about 4-5ins. square?
    I've found a site called Kiln Linings on the net and they look like a decent supplier, do I just need standard firebricks? Thank you
    Iori

Ha its question time, I see.

Hi Pat, for jump rings and chains I never use anything but the mini torch in my picture, with both the flame size and air vent reduced a little. Finer and fiercer thin flames are liable to melt wires and destroy solder before it can flow.
    If you have no success with hard solder for this, try easy paste applied with a brush or probe. You might find that better. Some people still apply some extra flux, although it is not essential. To prevent paste drying out, dip the nozzle in water before re-capping it. I also find holding chain links in fine, self closing titanium tweezers from Cookson helps you to see better, but it is still fairly challenging to keep the rest of the chain out of the way of the flame. Some jewellers cut a slot in the side of their bench peg to Keep plain tweezers closed and have their hands free.

Iory, what you see is not permanent. It’s just five soldering bricks put together. I happened to have four small ones for the sides, back and top. The one at the back is up on end and there is a larger one for the base. Mine are on an iron tripod for extra height. Regards, Dennis.