Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiment cutting dies

Default Experiment cutting dies

I haven't gone far enough to give up,or get any real success.

pmsl - I expected to read about somebody dying during an experiment! Well, it is only 8.30 ish and I've only had one coffee
    Di x

Those tab dyes look fine to me. I've got an RT blanking system. I don't use it that much these days but I really need to get back into cutting some more. I really struggle with cutting the steel though. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Those tab dyes look fine to me. I've got an RT blanking system. I don't use it that much these days but I really need to get back into cutting some more. I really struggle with cutting the steel though. Any tips?
    I find with RT Blanking system that the blades are incredibly difficult to tension, I need an extra pair of hands to keep the blade in position whilst I use pliers to pull it up to increase the tension before tightening the nut and swivelling the tension arm, but I've found taking extra time installing the blade definitely leads to a much cleaner cut, fewer blade breakages and a lot less swearing !

Platinum saw blades and cutting fluid... Messy though.

That's good advice. It's time to get some steel and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Quinn View Post
    I find with RT Blanking system that the blades are incredibly difficult to tension, I need an extra pair of hands to keep the blade in position whilst I use pliers to pull it up to increase the tension before tightening the nut and swivelling the tension arm, but I've found taking extra time installing the blade definitely leads to a much cleaner cut, fewer blade breakages and a lot less swearing !
    Yes, I've lost count of the number of blades I've broken trying to get the tension right. The Knew Concept one is supposed to be easier to use but when I was at B'ham last year, some people had a go with it and they seemed to struggle as well.

I made some out of 1.0 mm steel sheet during a stamping course. It did not seem too difficult to get the angle right. But the stamping was done with a fly press, which I found quite scary as I did not want my head caved in. The tutor was an eccentric Frenchman Jean Pièrre who made a point af canvassing the class for gifts of dark chocolate. Dennis.

I hardly ever use any lubricant(ooh matron) anymore,it just gets in the way of seeing the line I'm trying to cut,I get there is a subtle technique, a combination of hardly any pressure and a flowing movement of the saw.Plus turning corners keep that sucker moving. I would say that 95% of the time if you break a blade it's YOUR fault. I had a blade in the saw frame for a week a while back and I was cutting steel, copper and silver. I was thinking it's got to break soon.
    Then last night I must have broke ten in as many minutes!! Mind you it was 3mm steel and using 05 blades.I'm never going to do that again.
    I've decided to make two dies instead of trying to cut the positive and negative out of the same piece.

As for the RT blanking system I've kinda made my own,I nearly modified my saw frame to help with tensioning, once the blades in. It wouldn't be to difficult to weld a bolt with a wing nut that you could tighten the blade once it's in.
    This is to prove some of my MAD ideas actually do work

I don't think it's any good though. It prevents me staying on the line,which i feel is the most important thing.
    I get the feeling making your own stamping dies is a waste of time,otherwise everyone would be doing it already.
    I've only got into this because someone wants a necklace made that a girl on Eastenders is wearing. I've got to cut 25 little disk. I could have them all cut by hand in a day,but spent a week trying to make a die.Once something is in my head there's no stopping me until i come to my senses and get some work done.

But don't you have to angle the table so that the cut is chamfered?