Thread: Working with gold

Default Working with gold

Hi
    I'm new to this forum but have been working with silver for many years. I am looking for some advice on working with gold. I have soldered small gold parts to silver many times in the past but have recently taken on a commission in gold using small parts of silver. Can anyone give me some advice on the soldering aspect. If I am making something mostly in gold, what solder should I use if adding small parts of silver to it? When doing it the other way around, I have used easy silver solder, in this case will I need to use easy gold as the majority of the item is 9 karat??
    I would really appreciate some help as I don't want to get it wrong - could be a bit of a pricey error!

That's an interesting subject?
    So to make it clear your doing something like' soldering a thin silver wire to a disc of 9ct' then i would say use 9ct,i'd use easy solder,but i used it for everything.
    The main reason I would say is the solder is going to run a bit over the surface of the larger part which cold be tricky to clean up if it was silver.
    I don't think it's wrong or right to use what ever solder you prefer(silver is cheaper),just have to think ahead for the buffing/polishing.

I should also consider the hallmarking, which adds value, not least in the eyes of the purchaser. Nine carat white has a beautiful colour, not unlike silver, but would allow you to sell the piece as hallmarked nine carat. As shaun says, you would then use easy solder of a colour to match the largeer area.
    I would also like to mention that nine carat can be unintentionally melted more easily than silver, so work in subdued lighting and use a soft flame. Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 18-07-2010 at 09:58 PM.

I would also like to mention the hallmarking, which adds value, not least to the purchser. If instead of silver you were to use 9ct white, which has a beautiful colour not unlike silver, your work could be hallmarked as gold. I have found that 9ct is easier to melt inadvertently, so work in subdued lighting and with a soft flame. Kind regards, Dennis.

Ooo, a timely thread!

What about soldering silver onto red-gold (18ct)? What does one do? Apart from resigning to massive clean-up or £50 for a single red-gold solder panel that will likely last a lifetime?

I'm thinking... scrounging...!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Ooo, a timely thread!

What about soldering silver onto red-gold (18ct)? What does one do? Apart from resigning to massive clean-up or £50 for a single red-gold solder panel that will likely last a lifetime?

I'm thinking... scrounging...!
    That sounds like a job you should talk your customer out of,or steer them into a diffrent direction. I can't see it working unless you plan it like a ???? really well planed thing.Maybe if the red gold doesn't have to be shiny? as in frosted effect?
    It must be over 10 years since I've used red gold solder? And i bought it especially for one job,the customer insisted. I suppose i must still have it somehwere,but i do remeber what the guy said to me."It aint that good".Gold was 'cheap' then and it was 9ct.

That's good advice from Dennis about using white gold,make sure you charge them the extra,and then they can say they've had a yellow and white gold ring handmade,instead of a sliver and gold ring(don't sound as good).Should be easy to sell the idea.

I'm afraid I'm the innovator behind this piece, as usual (Nic's fault for suggesting red dragons...!).

As I suspected, one panel of red-gold solder is a life-time's supply to any jeweller! Any of my Norfolk lot made the mistake/investment of buying a whole one...? Come on Cookies, you know you only sell one every 5 years, make 'em smaller!

I think I might have a red gold solder panel I'll have a look tonight
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver