Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: lazer cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    how many stockist have you in Devon oh Mighty Geti?
    only a few :-)

If Geti's not keen, have you considered having your sheet etched? I use Chempix in Birmingham and they're very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    If Geti's not keen, have you considered having your sheet etched? I use Chempix in Birmingham and they're very reliable.

hmmm wonder if they are cheaper than himself?

I think from memory it's abut £100 to do the tooling and about £90 per A4 sheet for etching. Thereafter it's about £90 each time, plus of course, the cost of the silver.

Laser cutting that's my kind of toy,but I expect they cost a fortune.

How about having a stamping die cut,if it a small production run. And at .5 they should be easy to cut.
    I've been experimenting with these myself,but limited success,I've got some thick tools steel coming soon,see if that helps.
    Sheltech - Custom Dies and Cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun750 View Post
    Laser cutting that's my kind of toy,but I expect they cost a fortune.

How about having a stamping die cut,if it a small production run. And at .5 they should be easy to cut.
    I've been experimenting with these myself,but limited success,I've got some thick tools steel coming soon,see if that helps.
    Sheltech - Custom Dies and Cutting
    There are several things that you can do to ensure that you are successful in creating stamping dies, the first is to ensure that you align the sheet to correct angle for the thickness of steel you are sawing, and you need to make sure that the blade is perpendicular at all times otherwise you will be unable to create a uniform cutting angle. Also, make sure that you have the die the right way round when stamping out the sheet if you have it upside down it will not shear the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Quinn View Post
    There are several things that you can do to ensure that you are successful in creating stamping dies, the first is to ensure that you align the sheet to correct angle for the thickness of steel you are sawing, and you need to make sure that the blade is perpendicular at all times otherwise you will be unable to create a uniform cutting angle. Also, make sure that you have the die the right way round when stamping out the sheet if you have it upside down it will not shear the metal.
    Cheers for that Lisa,
    I think the main faliure I've had came from the metal being thick enough,but not hard enough and then it was hard enough(a giant hacksaw blade) but not thick enough for the metal I was cutting, my first effort still works OK and that was a stainless steel coaster I had lying around.
    I aneal the metal cut it and then tempered it.It cuts quite easy,even with a 0/5 saw blades,I've made a modified saw jig that is designed to keep the blade at 90 degrees,but feel i don't need it.
    With the all in one cutter it's self aligns,but there is a little tag that need tidying up. The thicker die(that had male and female halves) had holes drilled through both sections that a rod(thick nail) kept both parts aligned.It worked several times before I broke the vice I was using to squeeze it broke,and then I distroyed part of the die.I as trying to cut really thick aluminum.
    I'm using a monster vice now,If i get sucess with that and my new metal ,then i will probably make or buy a hydrolic press.
    I've got a few more ideas of how to improve the design.
    Thanks for the info,there's only one way for me to learn,and that's the hard way!

hello Geti i will sort a dwg file out shortly perhaps you could have a look
    many thanks
    clive

well thanks to all for suggestions its appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by clivem View Post
    hello Geti i will sort a dwg file out shortly perhaps you could have a look
    many thanks
    clive
    will do clive