Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrap silver

Default Scrap silver

OK so I have built up a nice stash of scrap silver. I am not planning to melt it down or make my own sheet or anything, so where is the best, most economical place to scrap it?
    If I scrap it thru cookies, how much will they charge me for the privilege? Or should I go with a company like Lois Jewellery who'll just give me a flat price for it?

Ta muchly!

Sarah
    X

Well, to start you off, for silver, dealers like at least a pound of clean scrap. No lemel (filings), no cigerette ash and minimal solder. They will try to persuade you to have it assayed, which is another £40 to them. So phone to find the price of clean scrap and then go for the best offer cash down. I'm sorry to say that in Hatton Garden this apparently trivial event, enacted once in a while, takes years off my life. Kind regards, Dennis.

If you really want to scrap it then ebay,they actually pay over the scrap price.Even on a regular auction??
    You really should be melting it,but i suppose if you haven't got mills etc then it would be a big layout??
    I just had a though? Someone on here who had mills etc,might melt it and roll it for you? for gas money + post,that's a win win?
    Or you could pay them in silver??
    It wont look as pretty as when you buy it from a bullion dealer though.

I have melting equipment and a good set of Durston mills and drawplates. I would be happy to help.

How much do you have orestruck?
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the offer of help!
    I have about a kilo.
    I might hunt around to see what I can get for it cash tho......I need some new pieces of equipment.
    I'll get back to ya!

Sarah

ps. I discovered your tutorials a while back on youtube - some great advice, happily received!

Quote Originally Posted by orestruck View Post
    Hi Andrew, Thanks for the offer of help!
    I have about a kilo.
    I might hunt around to see what I can get for it cash tho......I need some new pieces of equipment.
    I'll get back to ya!

Sarah

ps. I discovered your tutorials a while back on youtube - some great advice, happily received!
    A kilo,it's gotta be worth you getting melting equipment,MAP gas and torch from B and Q cheap india skillet and rolling mils,bobs yer uncle.
    The exact size thickness metal you want,wire ring shanks,delft casting.
    Making silver wire vid i did:
    YouTube - Making Silver Wire

Nice vid Shaun

Shaun,
    Thanks for your input. I have torch etc, but to be honest I don't use that much sheet. I even have an adjustable ingot/wire mould but as my rolling mill is not geared I just don't fancy rolling it out when I'm not gonna make much use of it.
    I can get over 300 quid for it from Lois jewellery with no assay charges. I must just go with that........

Lets see if that's the best price you can get for it then.
    I don't need any silver as I've got it coming out of my ears!
    How much in grams does it weigh,take no notice if anyone says it's not hallmarked,any jeweller with half a brain could see what it was and think it's ready to melt and resuse.
    Like i said( I still can't quite belive it) but you will get way over the silver price on ebay??

I looked at ebay, but by the time you have faffed around with ebay fees, then paypal fees, it's probably not worth it........
    It weighs 1008 grams. Lois is the best price in my opinion. I have scrapped gold thru various sources before and they usually give the best price....