Thread: Couple of new bits

Default Couple of new bits

This is kind of a show and (maybe stupid) ask really. I made the earrings below with a view to selling them at an upcoming table sale, but it's not for a while yet so I need to store them. After 20 minutes in a box they were all knotted, taking considerable time to undo. How can I store them so it doesn't happen again?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050252.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	2311

I've had a quick try to see if it would work and it seems to work with my earrings. Cut a small piece 1cm or less off a drinking straw and slide it over the earwire down towards the beads. If you make your own earwires you could probably get a larger piece of straw over the hook so experiment. It only takes seconds to get on and off again and if you get desperate you can always cut them off with nail scissors. If there is still too much chain free to get tangled add a second or third piece. This only works if the chains and rings you have used are not too thick, so if they are you need to nick a few thicker straws from Mc D's! Hope this helps.

Thank you, I'll give that a go

I'd advise storing them in individual small plastic bags. Also I'd suggest a different background for the picture as the colour is quite close to the stone colour. Nice earring design

Quote Originally Posted by PureGold View Post
    I've had a quick try to see if it would work and it seems to work with my earrings. Cut a small piece 1cm or less off a drinking straw and slide it over the earwire down towards the beads. If you make your own earwires you could probably get a larger piece of straw over the hook so experiment. It only takes seconds to get on and off again and if you get desperate you can always cut them off with nail scissors. If there is still too much chain free to get tangled add a second or third piece. This only works if the chains and rings you have used are not too thick, so if they are you need to nick a few thicker straws from Mc D's! Hope this helps.
    If you slit the straw open down the side you could get it onto the chain part without trying to get it over the ear wire (I think!)
    Lorraine

If you have a Muji shop near you, they have a large range of divided boxes for small parts, both in their bathroom range and their storage range. Have a browse and you might come up with a more permanent solution.
    One other thing for keeping silver as new for long periods is to include some anti-tarnish material. You can find it on line as anti-tarnish strips or tabs. The are a bit expensive, but a small cutting in a closed container or a bag will do the trick for upto a year.
    Kind regards, Dennis.