Thread: New kid

Default New kid

Hi all,

Here's my first attempts. Photography will be addressed in due course but gives a flavour. I've only been working at it for about two weeks so early and a lttle crude but I'm happy with what I've done so far. Hoppe you like em. Comments welcome. I am fledgling

John (Bristol)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jewellery-2010-Collage.jpg  

God for such a short time, but your true asset is your newness. So don't make what you have seen before. Let your imagination run wild and make what you see in your dreams, or even nightmares. If you ever can't sleep at nights have a pad handy to doodle on . Keep a pad on you when you are out and about incase you suddenly get an idea. You will forget it later. Let your soul show in your work and welcome to jewelry making.
    Kind regareds, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. I am thinking more and more in form and shape and inspiration is beginning to flow. I did have a slight problem setting the stone. When I put it in the setting it seems a little bit of solder stopped the stone sitting flat. Any thoughts on how to avoid this? If I have to file out the solder from inside what's the best way to get to it? The bezel is fine silver and very soft and it's hard to get any file action in such a small space without damaging the bezel. When soldering the bezel strip to the base is there any way to stop a ridge of solder on the inside?Grateful for your advice.

John

Hello John, Do you have a motorised drill of any sort yet? if so then you need to buy yourself some burs to clean out any excess solder from places you can't get at with a file. If you are after any new tools, remember this time of year there are a few model engineer shows around the country, I always tell beginers that these shows are a good place to see and buy tools and equipment. Just google "Model Engineers Exhibition" and you will see them advertised all over the place. I try and go to either the London show, held at Alexander Palace each new year, or there is also sometimes one at Sandown Park Racecourse in December and I have bought loads of tools quite cheaply as there are always show offers available, I also buy lengths of steel to make tools from and also copper and brass sheet for patternwork.

James

Two streets from the Tunnocks teacake factory!

Welcome John! Hope you enjoy the forum. I love your double hoop earrings!

Yes you do need a rotary tool, and importantly for a beginner you need speed control, because burrs can run away and wreck flimsy bezels. Two remedies for this:
    1. Cut your own strip from say 0.4mm fine silver sheet. This saves money in the end, because bezel wire is often too wide and you waste some.
    2. Start by using diamond covered burrs until you get the hang of things, because they are much easier to manage and cut more slowly. They come in two shank sizes and you need to check that your handpiece is compatible.
    This forum has several good threads on 'What Motor'. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-10-2010 at 08:20 PM.