Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where did you all start?

Wheely, it's sad that so many of these resource centres have gone. I'm trying to get onto a free pottery course for Dad's in August because my husband is registered blind so therefore can't go with the kids but it's not easy. The version open to mum's you can only take one kiddie. I tempted to let the old man and his guide dog go and let them deal with the chaos LOL. Just thinking while I type (not something i do often) i wonder if thats why i'm so into the idea of textured large pieces. Okay I can't afford the materials at the moment but one day, so he can get some kind of idea what i'm on about hmmm didn't think of that!

without wishing to sound flippant about the things you're fighting - both Rainbow and Wheely - it has always seemed to me that coming up against adversity adds something to the creative process. Sometimes it takes something bad happening before a person realises their creative potential. I used to hold workshops for therapeutic writing and initially most folk who came thought they couldn't write - every single one of them found their 'voice.' I think a similar thing happens with the visual arts - and you're right Rainbow, adding texture to your visual pieces makes them accessible to the blind and visually impaired. Ain't that just wonderful?
    Di x

I started back in March, having never tried anything like making jewellery before. I watched and still do, lots of tutorials on youtube and ganoksin, read through many posts here and elsehwere. I love using silver and have to date made over 60 pieces. The day before yesterday I took the plunge and put up a few things for sale on Etsy ( KwantEssentials.etsy.com if you want to have a look , nothing very special but lol there is only so much I can give to family and friends, they are beginning to call me Duc D'Elizabetta :0 ) having been encouraged by some kind folks here and friends and family to give it a go. I hope to continue making things, trying new techniques and enjoying myself while doing it.
    Last edited by Kwant; 08-07-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

they are beginning to call me Duc D'Elizabetta
    :

pmsl - that has been mentioned before about some of us. T
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I did adult ed classes for years before I started to get a few tools together. I did a Christmas show and to my surprise people actually bought my stuff. I cringe though when I look back at the standard of stuff I was selling.

Since then I've done loads of classes in various places and now I teach in my own studio. The thing I love about jewellery is that there's always more to learn and I don't think I'll ever get to the end of my list.
    I find your story heartening, Carole, as I have learnt at adult ed classes too. What was your first Christmas show?
    Linda

How interesting. I thought I was the only one around with no formal training. I learned from the internet- forums- you tube and Ganoskin. I started out making lampwork beads and naturally progressed to sheet silver. I am pretty unconventional- my tools are mostly from the hardware store- I use a plumbers torch for soldering- I Have a creme brullee torch for fine soldering, hardware store hammers and pliers and a dremel (purchased- where else? a hardware store). I Have spent a minimum of money. I do have a good collection of setting burrs, drills, ring bending pliers and a tube cutting jig though. I guess I kinda fly by the seat of my pants. I am taking a course starting next week on setting. I am bloody determined to learn flush setting although I'm wonder if it may be impossible. I have had no success so far with it. Oh...I did take one course that was amazing- a tool making course. I made a great variety of burnishers and tools for setting bezels and tube setting.

Now, that is a skill I'd like - making your own tools!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindyloo View Post
    I find your story heartening, Carole, as I have learnt at adult ed classes too. What was your first Christmas show?
    Thanks Linda. It was just a local show, but quite a big one to start with. Unfortunately those shows aren't what they were and I have to travel further afield now.

The thing everyone who's starting out now should remember though is that the way I did it, ie building up slowly, takes years of really hard work and it's very difficult if you live in the sticks to get yourself noticed out of your area. I was lucky as my husband was earning good money at the time and was able to support me. He's now taken early retirement and I'm supporting him!

Carole I enjoyed reading your post, my husband supports me , he is hoping to retire in a couple of years and I'd like to think by then I can do more than buy him the odd curry. Whenever i ask about buying tools or courses he walays says "do it now before i retire", how lucky am i, i hope i can do the same for him when he's looking for a hobby
    Jill

My husband is very supportive too. His mum is an artist but she was a teacher until she retired and never gave much time to her creative side until she was much older. maybe thats why he's so supportive. maybe it's because he feels there is so much we don't do but whatever the reason i'm very grateful for having him around. the kids too are very very supportive. LOL the little one tends to tell me everything is fabulous even before he's seen it ;-) He says when he makes his first million he's going to buy all my stuff LMAO! Thank you for all your posts it's really really nice to read about everyone and to see how many haven't gone the formal education route. Hope you're not all melting too much!