Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you all start?

Cool Where did you all start?

I was wondering did you all just dabble and make mistakes as you go as this i fear could work out a very expensive way to go or would you recommend saving up and going on a course?
    Thank you

It all depends on your learning style, Rainbow. For me courses are anathaema because I hate to make an idiot of myself in public. I have learned from online friends and books and, ever so slowly, I am progressing. It has to be said that I've produced a lot of scrap along the way, but, for me, this is the way to learn.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lunar eclipse earrings 001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	2064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lunar eclipse bracelet 002.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	2065
    Di x

I've done one silver smithing course with the local (at the time) adult education centre - great tools, but the teacher was a bit swamped trying to keep up with differing levels of ability as they ran a "beginners and continuers" course - I learnt some things but felt it was a bit of a let down. I'd love to get back into actual bashing of metal etc but haven't the nerve right now - or the tools yet.

I've also done a beads and wire course - still using the skills from that a lot. I've also read a lot of books to learn some new techniques, and this forum has provided a load of inspiration and knowledge (if only I knew how to apply it).

Recently moved into PMC - had a course with our very own MuranoSilver (Nic) and loved it - but haven't the confidence to play too much really 'cos of the cost involved - saying that, I can throw mistakes in the scrap pot and maybe use them one day. I've got another course with Nic booked 'cos I'm really a 'need to see and be given advice at the time' kind of learner.

Depends how you want to learn I guess, as Di said.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I started making my own little fimo (polymer clay) creations at the tender age of 16
    them many years of dabbling before going on lots of intensive courses and openeing a shop.
    Now I make jewellery every day and Love what I do for a living.

Still take courses all the time as I find it's the best way for me to learn
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Well, I am a dental technician. So working with precious metals is something i do all day, the leap was not that big for me. But reading a lot did it for me, researching which books to read is a very good idea... some are really bad quality. You can practice with copper, thats not so expensive...but if you want to get all the tools at one time it will be a bit tho...

Anton

Thats all really interesting. I looked into the copper and brass route but you need a special kiln for the charcoal and all that jazz and two sets of each tool so i've decided against that. I've been playing with the kids Fimo LOL infact made a bunch of roses for my son to put on his stall at school for their sale day. Oh and the daisy's hundreds of fimo daisy's LOL. I've done a wire course before but i find i'm drawn to big chunky stuff and simply can't bend the wire as I suffer with carpal tunnels if I too too much hard bending with my hands. Clay really appeals as it's so gentle to use (if that makes any sense).I'm trying to scale down all the ideas in my head as like I say i'm drawn to big and chunky but the funds wont allow ;-) one day eh, love the idea of your own shop, how cool is that!

I would recommend courses in basic silversmithing skills as a fab way of seeing if you like it.

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube to show you example of how jewellery making is carried out. But getting your hands dirty is the best way to learn any new medium.
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

Hi rainbow
    Ive just started making jewellery in Silver and silver pmc, I got a book and watched some tutorials and had a go, then I did a 1 day pmc course whch I loved and am now hooked. I'm still practising with sterling as well, soldering jump rings and catches, making snake chain charm bracelets, pendants on chains and laces, piercing (which for me involves lots of filing to get correct neat shape) I've bought as many basic tools as I can afford, and am adding to them, I got some fine files at a car boot for 10 and 20p and we had some tools about the house as my husband makes guitars, I'm also hoping to do a 1 day silversmithing course which is £110 and the only one I have found in Cheshire, I'm hoping that course will give me the confidence and skill to do a bit more. Books are great I got one for £8 it's called 'JEWLLERY MAKING a complete course for beginers' by Jinks McGrath and it has step by step instructions, a list of basic needed tools, melting points and pracitce projects and loads of other stuff, I would reccomend it. I went straight on to silver as I am allergic to metal and want to be able to wear some of my jewellery. I have already sold some of the things I have made to friends and neighbours, and had good feedback and orders for more.
    Good luck and hope this helps :-) Wendy
    Last edited by Wendy Moriarty; 05-07-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Oh damn I just realized.
    I started doing metal work(cos that what jewellery making is) in my Dads shed,did a few things and then got a job in hatton garden and then my own business.
    I'm back in the shed!!!

I did adult ed classes for years before I started to get a few tools together. I did a Christmas show and to my surprise people actually bought my stuff. I cringe though when I look back at the standard of stuff I was selling.

Since then I've done loads of classes in various places and now I teach in my own studio. The thing I love about jewellery is that there's always more to learn and I don't think I'll ever get to the end of my list.