Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where did you all start?

I started with beading for years and then bought some tools, tried a bit myself, took a local class (which really was a waste of time as there was no one on one time and as mentioned before so many levels in one class).

18 months ago, I took a three month class with Jewelry Schools : New Approach School for Jewelers, then about 8 months ago I got myself an apprenticeship for 2 months (unpaid) and then got hired 3 days a week working for one of the best jewelers in NYC. I have taken a few technique specific classes too such as Mokume Gane too which I do because I just love learning new stuff

My personal opinion (if money is not an issue), is if you have the right attitude and the desire to grow quickly, intensive classes (with the right teachers of course) are the quickest route to reasonable level of competance. But classes with good teachers don't come cheap unfortunately. If classes aren't an option, go for an apprenticeship and work for someone (someone great though, not just any random jeweler) for free for a while - you'll be amazed how much you learn!

I forgot to add that, about a year ago now, I formally asked a designer/maker whose work I admire to be my mentor. That person agreed and has been a huge fund of knowledge and wisdom, pushing me to try new things and helping me to learn from my mistakes. That has been the best 'training' style for me - an experienced, knowledgeable adjunct to the books and the forums and somebody I trust to witness my (many) errors without making me feel an idiot.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by jille View Post
    Carole I enjoyed reading your post, my husband supports me , he is hoping to retire in a couple of years and I'd like to think by then I can do more than buy him the odd curry. Whenever i ask about buying tools or courses he walays says "do it now before i retire", how lucky am i, i hope i can do the same for him when he's looking for a hobby
    Jill
    What would we do without em eh? Mine feels a bit like a spare part now he's retired. I keep telling him though that I couldn't do it without him. He does all the posting and keeping on top of paperwork. He also cooks all the meals, shopping, laundry etc. He's one in a million!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    I forgot to add that, about a year ago now, I formally asked a designer/maker whose work I admire to be my mentor. That person agreed and has been a huge fund of knowledge and wisdom, pushing me to try new things and helping me to learn from my mistakes. That has been the best 'training' style for me - an experienced, knowledgeable adjunct to the books and the forums and somebody I trust to witness my (many) errors without making me feel an idiot.
    WOW cool move!
    Carol your husband sounds a diamond, minesokay just don't tell him that but most of my friends others halves wont even help with the kids over the weekends let alone support and help with anything they are doing. It's nice to know there are some gooduns around still. My ole mans a piano tuner so one day when I can afford the clay i'm going to make him a piano keyboard keyring so he can show all his customers too LOL