Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where did you all start?

Hi Rainbow

I started a few years ago when I went along to an taster evening class with a friend (I went really to 'hold her hand') and loved the course from the first demonstration and hands on practical. My friend felt it wasn't for her but I stayed on and wanted to learn more. I found a website which was co-incidently by Andrew Berry which looked liked the kinda place to get loads of info from but I was unable to register. I remember emailing a couple of times to Andrew but got no response. As the website didn't seem as if it was being updated I gave that up and found the cookies forum which was absolutely brilliant! I think it had just about started and there was loads of quality information and exchange of experiences - it was just what I needed at the time. Books have been useful resources and I've since been to a couple of other courses. I've only made stuff for myself and to give as presents and is very much a hobby that I love.

I find it facinating the rang of people and levels but everyone seems so open and helpful. I now have a notebook which i jot ideas down in and sketches so when I can afford another lump (hopefully next week) i'll have lots of stuff to work with. I tend to try to run before I can walk but my head is buzzing with ideas LOL. I was lucky to get a kit off a lovely lady from ebay. used but there is no way I could have got everything in it from a shop. Even got a tiny weeny kiln! I have a book from the kit too metal magic which is lovely but i'll look up the other book mentioned as i'm a great believer in you can never have too many books! Thanks for all your stories, it's lovely to hear them. Hope everyone is having a great day!

I think trying to run before you can properly walk is a terrific way to learn - it means you are always striving to be that little bit better
    Di x

I bought a magazine, fiddled a bit, joined a forum and asked lots of dum duck questions, then went off and did my own thing with wire.

I can see that silversmithing is going to be a different matter. I've got some books, and read all the hints and tips, but I think there's going to be a lot of trial and error.........and running and hopping and walking. I'd like some one-to-one tuition but would feel lost in a big class.

I love the idea of doing a course but simply don't have the funds. Am biting said bullet and putting together and order and just hope I don't make too big a hash of it LOL Fingers crossed

I started with seed beads when I was 13 years old. I made lots of friendship bracelets and sold some to my friends - hilarious when I look at some of those pieces now... so lame...! In 2008 I took a course at Edinburgh College of Art and that gave me the basics. From there I've learnt everything else from youtube and books.

Oh Yeh,

I forgot.

I made Fimo jewellery whilst I was in Uni to subsidise my grant.

So I guess I was bitten by the bug then.

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

I started it a few years ago, in a place you wouldn't think of - a resource center for the disabled (I'm wheelchair bound, hence the name). I saw lots of shiny things others had made and wanted a go myself. My tutor was fantastic and before long I was making things way beyond the reach of anyone else in the class - his words not mine I hasten to add. That center has since closed but I still work with that tutor once a week, and I also co-run my own resource centre and helped establish silver work there, using both sheet and PMC. I have a fair few tools and like to do some at home as I find it quite theraputic, especially piercing. The strength in my arms and hands has also improved, as has my coordination and manual dexterity - bonus!

I have just evolved over the years, as a kid I love painting, drawing and handicrafts. When i left work to have a family ( you can tell that was over 30 years ago) i designed and sold knitwear , I did City & Guilds, started writing knitting patterns for mags, and became totally hooked on design, which lead me to pick up the paints again. Because i enjoyed painting i decided to go to a china painting class, then another C&G course. Once I got a kiln I started dabbling with glass, i made a lot of dichroic pendants but I wanted to learn how to set them in a bezel and make bangles rings etc so I took a few 3 day courses.
    That's where I'm at right now
    Jill

lovely pics by the way Di