Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guild of Jewellery Designers

I for one, appreciate the inclusion of the part time enthusiasts.
    Linda

I have signed up too, the more people that learn from each other the correct skills involved in jewellery making, the better. The day I stop learning is the day I put away my tools forever.

I believe ultimately though people learn their basic techniques from one person, whether it be from an apprenticeship, course tutor or a book, so using a video tutorial is no different to this. I believe that only when the basics of sawing, soldering, setting, texturing, forming and shaping are learnt, can the designs, which I have found are in people's own imagination, be applied. I feel without the basics of manufacture learnt, the pieces are rarely safely made, asthetically pleasing or commercially viable. Then comes into play the hints, tips and tricks that comes from many peoples years of experience.

I make no excuses for AtTheBench.com containing basic silversmithing and repairing techniques as well as more advanced skills, projects. This is where people coming into the trade need to start and those with a design or craft background who wish to learn more skills.From my own personal experience, I leant more about the craft sitting next to a goldsmith at work in the retail sector at the start of my career than I did during my three year honours degree in Three Dimensional Design.
    The site is still in its infancy but already has other experts on board than myself, Ray Skene is showing excellent lampworking techniques and Helen O'Neill director of the PMC Studio is also on board too, so look out for some exciting new tutorials from her later this month.

The comments made by Wendy Moriarty on another thread are exactly the comments I have received time and time again from fellow jewellery making enthusiasts and the whole reason why I decided to launch AtTheBench.com.

These are the people the site has been designed for.

Best wishes.

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

Well I'd already signed up for AtTheBench.com and I've just signed up for GOJD. As Andrew says, you never stop learning new techniques, regardless of your area of expertise. Keep up the good work!

Fi
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

The Guild of Jewellery Designers has made front page news. Take a look at this week's copy of the Retail Jeweller. We are very, very proud.
    Di x

Congratulations !!!
    I've signed up , as a beginner working with metals I'm a sponge soaking up all the help and info I can get. I hope i can give something back with my skills in related fields, in fact i've been working on it all day :-)