Thread: Hi all this could be fun?

Default Hi all this could be fun?

Hi everybody,used cooksons(even when it was called exchange findings) for years and never looked this deep to find a forum.
    I'm a based in Essex UK.Trained in Hatton Garden,London(the jewellers workshop,insignia),ran various business,not all jewellery,used to sell and repair jewellery at market stalls until it got to cold to hold the tweezers tight(and the stall used to lift up with the wind!!).

Progressed to a mobile(caravan/horsebox looking thing) jewellers,where I used to go to bootsales and markets,for a few years,then opened a unit in sunny Dagenham,for 12 years until the council decided to buy the building. Did a few courses(setting and hand engraving,CAD/CAM) and messed around for two years,and then moved in with me dear old Mum,who's a bit poorly sometimes.
    Got my little shed set up with all my stuff and gonna see if it's possible to make a living on the interweb ting? (i doubt it) It might be back to the bootsale soon?

I try to stick to silver(hanging onto my gold as it keeps going up) and mainly use a CNC engraver to make flat designs and hand cut nameplates(not sex and the city designs!!)
    Sold a few designs on ebay and etsy.
    Cheers Shaun

Hi Shaun, good luck with the sales and welcome to the forum!
    Lorraine

Hi Shaun, nice to meet you
    Dragonfly (Lynne)

http://www.thedragonflycompany.com

for all things chain maille - supplies, chain maille kits and tuition

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup!

Wow, a dyed in the wool professional jewellery seller! Go on, give us a website hint!

As it happens, I know (through his sibling) one of the jewellery suppliers to 'Sex in the City' - I wish I could get those prices for my stuff! Don't knock it!

I'm looking forward to asking you lots of stupid and vital questions, don't go running off now!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Wow, a dyed in the wool professional jewellery seller! Go on, give us a website hint!

As it happens, I know (through his sibling) one of the jewellery suppliers to 'Sex in the City' - I wish I could get those prices for my stuff! Don't knock it!

I'm looking forward to asking you lots of stupid and vital questions, don't go running off now!
    No wenbsite, If i can make some money with etsy and ebay we will see.
    Still not convinced the little guy can make a living on the internet,selling handmade/custom.

When I said not 'sex and the city' nameplates I meant the ones they sell on ebay and etsy . Sterling Silver 0.8mm with a chain and for £18! with a chain and postage,as a guess I'd say they are making 3 quid profit??? I was contemplating undercutting them,just to get a few orders going,but then thought I'd make more money working in macdonalds.Don't wanna do either.
    Yeah ask as many questions as you like. I bet we both might learn something..

Hi Shaun and welcome. Myself and lots of others on here can vouch for the fact that you can make a living by selling online as well as doing a few shows and galleries. Takes a while though but it sounds like you've already built up a good custom base to build on. Good luck with it.

Hi Shaun
    to the forum ~ plenty of fun to be had here
    Nicola x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver