Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with soldering

Unhappy help with soldering

Hi,
    can anyone help with tips on soldering, I've mellted loads of jump rings, had the solder 'clump' and ping off, but only actually soldered 4 jump rings, which seems to have just been luck, I've read up a bit on it and been shown what to do, but I am stuck!! I have practiced to no avail. I've done okay with the other things I've tried, cutting and piercing, made a few pendants, but soldering, (the next step to securely attatching things) I am finding difficult to get right!!

I have just watched a soldering tutorial by Andrew Barry and think I may know my problems, torch too hot, rings maybe not clean enough, and a gap that should noy be there, time to try again ;-0

I read today a useful tip from Di I think, Mooncottage. Melt a few jump rings on purpose so you can see exactly how they behave, and at what point they begin to change state.

Everyone has a favourite method, so here is mine. Align the cut ends as perfectly as possible using two pairs of flat pliers. There should be no visible gap. On the soldering block lay the cut rings down with the joint on top of a small paillion of solder and then add flux. Alternatively use paste alone. Then heat genly with a soft flame from a mini torch but do not heat the solder directly at first. Remove the flame as soon as the solder has flowed. If you place your rings cunningly, the next one will be gently warming while you solder the first. When they are cool enough not to melt it, put them into a plastic tea strainer and immerse in pickle. This is the real test because most people's strainers have holes in them. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, Thats realy helpful, I have managed to solder a few more but it's early days and lots of trial and error, so far mostly error I think I've had my torch too hot most of the time, but even with my glasses on they are so small and fiddley I can't actually see whats going on (magnifying glass to add to ever growing shopping list) I had never thought of placing them onto solder paillon without tweezers, thats so much better I might be able to see a bit more. Thank you again and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I go along. ( I loved your bracelet)

Thanks I'll try that when I'm not melting soo many by accident, they go into tiny little balls at the ends I've noticed, some look like Barbie bangles :-)any ideas what I can do with all the wasted jump rings it seems a shame to throw them away?

Use a ball burr to make some little depressions (half spheres) in your soldering block, place the 'scrap' jump rings into them and melt them completely to form perfect little balls. These are incredibly useful as accents on other pieces.

Or you could turn them into Barbie bangles. I'll bet you'd do a roaring trade!

Thanks, I'll give that a try :-)

Dear Wendy, You should be using a mini torch with the air holes slightly closed to give a softer flame. If you are still melting stuff you need to work in subdued lighting so that you can see what your flame is doing and back off when the silver goes too red. It should barely glow.
    If your eyes are getting crossed, you need a head band magnifyer so as to keep your hands free. It does not need to be a very expensive one and you could look at Proops, or ExpoTools on line. They also sell them in model shops. Thanks about the bracelet, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 17-06-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Fuller reply.